Eye Care Expert Forum
Strange black or gray ring around my irises
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Strange black or gray ring around my irises

I noticed this morning when I was looking in the mirror that there was a pitch black solid circle around both my [blue] irises and that it would get bigger and smaller in correspondence to my pupils (at the same time, same speed, and with the same size change).  I also noticed that if the light was bright enough that the circle would get very thin and would be blurry and grey rather than solid and black.  I do not have any symptoms of problems other than what is caused by different disorders I have been diagnosed with.  I am not sure exactly how long the ring has been there since I only noticed this morning.

I need to know what this is and if I should be concerned.  It is important because we (my family and I) do not have much money since my mom lost her job so going to any doctors would be spending money that is supposed to go to paying to keep the house. So I can not get it checked out unless it is a serious problem.
Related Discussions
1573381_tn?1296151159
I can't tell without looking at it.  It doesn't sound like anything serious.
1) How old are you?
2) What other health problems do you have if any?

I wonder if it may be a reflection you are seeing.  Consider looking in a mirror outdoors in sunlight and see if you still see the ring.

HV
6 Comments
Blank
1598992_tn?1297520845
I checked in multiple mirrors at different light leves and places and it still showed up and today at school when I mentioned it to a friend he said he saw the black rings around my irises.

I am sixteen and tun seventeen this summer.

The health problems I have that I can remeber right now are sevier ADHD, Authritis, osgood schlatters, ehlers danlos syndrome type III, and I am very underwait.
Blank
1598992_tn?1297520845
Oh yes and I forgot I also have reynolds and an untreated ribcage injury.
Blank
1598992_tn?1297520845
Oh and I have dyslexia and I am fairly sure that is everything (unless I am forgetting something).
Blank
1573381_tn?1296151159
Wow that's a lot of problems for a sixteen year old.  I admire the fact that you are informed enough to look for problems and to search online for answers.  Given all your other problems and the fact that they could in some ways affect your eyes, you do need to get an eye exam by an ophthalmologist.  See if you could ask for a discount given your financial constraints.  You can also see if any of your friends' parents are eye doctors and see if you could go over and simply show them your eyes to see if they think it is anything serious.  I don't think it is anything serious, but the only way to be sure is to get it looked at.  Good luck.

HV
Blank
1598992_tn?1297520845
Thank you.  I do not have many friends I get to see regularly, but I will ask them, and I will ask my parents about an eye exam.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
1731421_tn?1358826971