Eye Care Expert Forum
Strange eye "vibration"

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Strange eye "vibration"

It started for me years ago when I was a young healthy 19 yr old male, when suddenly one day whenever I looked at letters or signs, the words were "vibrating" violently, also accompanied by a strange drowsy feeling.  I can only describe it as if someone took an electric back massager and put it on your head, and then when you went to look at anything it all appeared to look like it was vibrating.
Now I am fully aware that this is extremely strange, and when it first started happening it gave me a lot of anxiety because I thought something must seriously be wrong with me.  It wasn't happening in episodes, it was just all the sudden there and it is still there today, never stopping.  Nothing seems to effect it or change it in any way, it just remains constant.  At first I went to get it checked out as thouroughly as I could think of doing by seeing eye doctors, then opthalmologist and eventually got MRI done.  None of the doctors had any idea and frankly they all looked at me like I was crazy.  I then got pushed toward psychiatric evaluations due to the lack of answers.  The only reason I went with the psych approach was because I had no answers and a lot of doctors started making the case that anxiety could be the cause.  Yes, I was having a lot of anxiety, but the anxiety was because I was seeing crazy vibrations and I think that anybody would have some anxiety about that.  Anyway it is a lot worse now and I have seen a lot of docs but no answers.  Any ideas out there?
Two things that come to mind: migraine variant or seizure variant. I would suggest that you see a neuro-ophthalmologist. To make the evaluation as productive as possible you should try and collect the results of all your previous tests (such as the MRI reports) and consultations you've had.

You didn't say how old you were but if you've had this 10 years and nothing serious developed its unlikely to any progressive disease. Migraine variants behave like this and may have not headache at all with them.

JCH III MD FACS