Eye Care Expert Forum
Sty Won't Go Away

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sty Won't Go Away
Months ago I got a sty on my top eyelid and it was swollen and painful for about a week and then it seemed to go away. Only it left a small hard bump on my eyelid. It's painless and hasn't gotten any worse which is why I haven't seen a doctor. I just really want this bump to go away because it makes my eye look funny.
Styes don't normally hang around like that but chalazion's do. Use the search feature and archives to read about chalazion treatment.

JCH MD
Thank you. After researching it does sound like a chalazion, and it seems the only at home treatment is a hot compress four times a day. So I'm going to try that and I hope it goes away on its own. I don't know though, I've had it for such a long time.
If its large and noticible you can see an eye MD, ideally a oculoplastic surgery (find one at www.aao.org) and discuss steroid injection or incision and currettement.

JCH MD