Eye Care Expert Forum
Stye and contacts

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Stye and contacts

I'm pretty sure I have a stye in my left lower eyelid inside my eye but I also wear contacts.  Unfortunately my glasses are broken and I have horrible vision so I have to wear my contacts for work.  Will this cause a lot of damage? what should I do?
It's a good idea for you to see an ophthalmologist for evaluation and treatment of the stye.  I usually recommend you try to stop the contacts for a little while while treatment is started.

MJK MD
Dear Katieb33,

I would recommend that you discontinue contact lens wear with the stye and seek the care of an eyeMD to obtain glasses.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California