Eye Care Expert Forum
Sub retinal fluid slow to re-absorb

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sub retinal fluid slow to re-absorb

I had a left eye retinal hole with small detachment 9 days ago.Doc treated me with a gas bubble immediately followed by laser two days later.
In follow up this week, doc says that the retina laser repair is good, there are no tears and the lasered area is attached. He is concerned about the fact that fluid remains and has not been reabsorbed. He mentioned that if it was not reabsorbed by next week, that he would talk to me about surgery.
My specific question is, can I safely be treated conservatively if there are no new holes/tears and the retina is properly attached? Would I be putting myself at risk if I ask for conservative treatment?
Thanks for any help!
If fluid is not resorbed, the assumption is there is still a hole/tear/detachment present allowing for more fluid to enter the subretinal space.  Feel free to get a second opinion if your retina specialist recommends surgery but I would not continue to ask for conservative treatment if the specialist feels surgery is necessary.

HV