Eye Care Expert Forum
Substitute for Nevanac

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Substitute for Nevanac
I am in the middle of having cataract surgery (one eye is done and the other will be done tomorrow).  The doctor gave me small samples of Nevanac & Vigamox to use before and after the surgeries.  He also gave me a prescription for both.  In checking with my health insurance plan, I see that each prescription will cost me $75 to fill.  I saw in a previous question that Tobramycin might be substituted for Vigamox (which is MUCH cheaper).  Can you suggest a cheaper substitute for Nevanac?  I had asked the nurse for more samples, but she refused saying they wouldn't have enough for the other patients.  Thanks!
Acular would be cheaper than Nevanac and is the same class of medication.  Nevanac is being used as an anti-inflammatory.  A different, very cheap medication that would do the job is prednisolone acetate 1% which comes as a generic.  Tobramycin is not a truly equal substitution for Vigamox.  However you should not need to use it for days and days. At our center we pre-treat for 1 day and then treat afterwards for 3 - 4 days, basically however long the bottle lasts. Certainly you are within your rights to request another sample bottle of Vigamox since you are having both eyes done.
They gave you those meds for FREE? I had to PAY at the doctors office for teeny tiny bottles of each of those two, plus a teeny bottle of a 3rd eyedrop (don't have it handy, it's an antibiotic, I think). $60 for the set of 3. Also was told to pre-treat with the first two for 3 full days.
At my pre-op appointment, I got 2 half-filled tiny bottles of Vigamox; 2 tiny half-filled bottles of Nevanac and 2 full bottles of Omnipred.  I had to pre-treat with the first 2 for 3 days before surgery.  After surgery, 1 week of Vigamox; 1 month of Nevanac and 1 month of Omnipred (tapering off each week).  When I went back for my post-op appointment and talked to the doctor about the cost, he gave me 2 more half-filled tiny bottles of Nevanac, but said I really needed to fill the Vigamox and said there wasn't a good substitute and he could not give me any more.  I filled the Vigamox since I needed about 15 more drops to get me to the end of the regiment.  Good luck; it's a breeze!