Eye Care Expert Forum
Sudden, temporary partial loss of vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Earlier this week, I had a sudden visual disturbance which began as a slight blurriness causing me to have diffuclty reading. It quickly progressed to bright zig zag lines and significant blurred vision. I  had a partial loss of peripheral vision and went immediately to the emergency room. I had no weakness, no numbness of limbs, no headache , no speech problems and no difficulty answering questions. The episode lasted 15 minutes and my vision returned. I was seen by a neurologist who said that my clinical exam was normal. CAT scan ( without contrast)was normal, ultrasound of the carotid arteries was normal; blood work was normal. My Opthamologist found no retinal problems and a mild decrease in vision from my last exam 2 years ago. Both docs believe this was an occular migraine. I  am 53 and had migraines with headache when I was younger but never had visual disturbances. I had a spontaneous retinal hemmorhage in the same eye when I was 32. SInce this episode, my vision is fine but I have a dull ache in my eye which has not subsided. Should I see an opthamologist again? I live 40 minutes from Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary and wonder if I should seek a second opinion there. Does this scenerio sound like an occular migraine?
You almost perfectly described a visual migraine.  If you do some more research you will clearly see the similarities.  You just had a major workup which was negative - that's great news!.It's fine to get a second opinion but you know what the most likely diagnosis is. I have had patients with slightly similar symptoms that had a stroke - but that is rare - and one patient ended up having a benign brain tumor, but those things would have shown up on MRI or CT scan.  Usually, something like this has about a 95% or more chance of being a visual migraine.

MJK MD

I have suffered from this for 12 years now, at one point I was having 5 attacks per week which went on for a year.  It's awful but usually not life threatening, we are suppose to be more susceptible to strokes and Glaucoma, which I am having investigations over at the moment, but that's not the norm.  Try to relax over it, you've had extensive investigations and the aftermath of an attack can last days i.e the ache in your eye!
Doctor: Thank you for your response. It was very helpful and much appreciated.

Mandy...Thank you as well...it helps to know someone else has these lasting effects.
A related discussion, Transient Ischiemic Attack was started.
I just had my third or fourth of these or something similar. I was playing a video game when my focal point was instantly blurry. It shifted to my peripheral vision part way through, and now some 20 minutes since, my left eye almost feels partially closed or something. As best as I can tell it was blurred/zig zag lightning type lines but I could never focus on was it was. Once before, I covered eyes individually and had no change...no single eye showing signs over the other? Someone help?