Eye Care Expert Forum
Sudden Ghosting vision! any advice?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sudden Ghosting vision! any advice?
I know many have said that an uncorrected astigmatism can cause ghosting however with my symptoms i was wondering if this is the case for me.  The ghosting i have started randomly about 2 months ago.  It occurs with and without glasses on and in both eyes used together and separately.  When i use each eye separately its the same ghosting in each eye identically.  If I start at an LED it appear normal for a few seconds then the image begins a slow vertical separation upwards from the lit up image and it will actually mover up and down slowly as i focus on it.  The typical pin hole test clears it up and also squinting makes the image move up and down depending on how hard i squint.  I have been to a neuo-opthamologist who did MRI with contrast and no problems.  Had full dialated eye exam from opthamologist and no abnormalities found and also had an optometrist prescribe me my first pair of glasses that dont help the problem.  This is very frustration and many people keep saying "its most likely due to an uncorrected astigmatism."  Well if thats the case why is it identical in both eyes and why havent the glasses help me at all.  Very confused with all these symptoms and would love to hear if anyone else knows that this could be and possible how to fix it!  Any expert advice would be great!!!!!!!
You need to work closely with an ophthalmologist to figure this out.  For my patients, first I give them artificial tears to check and see if it is dry eye or an abnormal tear film that is causing the ghosting.  If that doesn't work, a hard contact refraction could shed light on whether it is irregular astigmatism etc.  You also need a thorough exam to make sure there are no cataracts or retinal problems contributing.  This is where having a good ophthalmologist helps save a lot of time and energy.

HV
I got my rigid contact today for my right eye I wore it for 2 hrs let me tell you it made things worst. The contact lady told me it would take a week or more to get used to it.. At this point really couldnt tell if it is helping the ghost image or not. It seemed worst but that is expected lol.... Hope in a few days t will be better...
I thought the rigid contact actually made it better for you?
No it has not it has made the ghost images worst and I was told today that my eyes hav been checked 3 times in a yr.. And I will have to learn to live with it go figure!!... Makes me mad that a foot surgery could cause my eyes to go bad had to of been the meds they put in my body!!
Thats crazy i dont know how meds could cause eyes to go bad.  Just doesnt make sense.  I mean if all the mechanics in your eyes are normal than everything should work fine right?  Thats why i thought that I had a neurologial issue because my eyes were fine.  Well after an MRI and a few more tests nothing came out of it.  The pin hole test works though which i believe means its refractive.  However if its refractive why don the glasses work????  And it continues to go round and round and round.  I even had a corneal topography and that checked out just fine.  So I dont know....
I know man but all I can say as for me. My vgision was great before my surgery! When I woke up it was blurry. So Dr told me to wait a month it was still blurry. Went to eye dr got glasses! The moment I put them on I started seeing the ghost image. Now its with or w/o glasses. And this rigid contact heck I cant even se good with it in go figure.

I dont even have much of a prescription so all I can look back on is the surgery.. I kept waking up in surgery so they pumped me full of anesthesia to the max plus pain pills. Plus a high dose of antibiotics to preventa foot infecion due to surgery.. Man I just havent felt good seince november vision and an off feeling! Been checked for everything MS, Stroke. Brain Tumors. The only things with my blood work that has been off is B12 which I now get a shot monthly and my Vitamin D it was 27 so I take 1000IUs a day. I am only 38 I feel like I am gonna die young!! Sick of this feeling so yeah I blame all those meds they put in me!!
Thats crazy man.  Do your ghost images occur in both eyes or just your right eye?  Do they occure with lighted signs off in the distance like along freeways etc?  My ghosting is worse the further away an image is and way more noticable with brightly lit objects.  
Mine is in both eyes especially if I strain them.. It worst in the right eye. I notice it on TV writing really bad and road signs as well.. Scary feeling man. When I go back to dr I am gonna see if he will test me for Lyme Disease just to rule it out!!
Isnt Lymes disease easily diagnosed or does it have subtle symptoms?
Not sure I know testing for it can be tricky. And I have heard you are better off going to a lyme specialist to start with? I have been seeing a Dr for almost 1 yr now. My neuro said he didnt need to see me after 2 visits so I guess that was a good thing lol...
was your neuro Dr for the vision thing or other issues?  My opthamologist thoroughly believes it is due to a refractive issue so we will see.  
My neuro Dr was not for eyes. He was a specialist in a few different areas with the CNS.. (Central Nervous System).. He didnt seemed concerned with my vision issues lol... My othomologist I go to is a specialist in cranial nerve surgery so I figure he knows what he is talking about with my eyes..

Thats why I havent been to a Neuro Opthomologist I feel its pointless and my GP says it is as well...