Sudden Night Time Starbursts
Starting Thursday night I ended up with a starburst effect around oncoming headlights and streetlights.  

I should give a bit of backstory: I've worn contacts for over a decade and never had a single problem until October, when I came down with conjunctivitis.  This was quickly treated, went away for 2 weeks, then I had an abrasion due to wind blowing dirt in my eye and conjunctivitis came back in my injured (left) eye.  I ended up having problems with a corneal ulcer and repeat infections in my left eye for months and only just got off antibiotic drops in that eye last week.  

I had an ophthalmologist give me a really extensive eye exam on Friday.  She said my corneas look okay, and I recall being tested for glaucoma and had my optic nerves checked out and everything was fine.  She thought the starbursts were caused by my new glasses, but over this weekend I have found out I get them to a much lesser extent with contacts and even vaguely noticed them with my 20/600 vision.  I also currently have issues with mild blepharitis (likely due to allergies) and chronic allergic conjunctivitis, but she doubts either of these would cause sudden starbursts.  I'm using non-preservative drops during the day and Refresh P.M. and using a warm compress on my eyes.  

I'm calling the ophthalmologist tomorrow with my new finding, but she really was at a loss as to why I'd suddenly have starbursts and a cleared exam.  I'm also letting my optometrist know, as he wanted to fix my glasses Rx this week.  Is there anything I can even do though, besides just living with such a sudden vision change?
Your symptoms could be coming from the cornea if the surface is irregular.  Ask your optometrist to try a gas permeable contact lens to see if the symptoms resolve.