Eye Care Expert Forum
Sudden Onset Blindness in One Eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sudden Onset Blindness in One Eye
What would be the possible causes for a female suddenly losing her vision in only one of her eyes?  Medical assistance was sought out and the response was that vision may never again be regained in that eye. There is some previous medical history involving artery blockage, but just out of curiosity what would be some possible causes for such a condition?
Dear yankeegirl14,

There are many causes of sudden onselt of blindness. Given the medical history, it is entirely possible that blockage of blood vessels can cause this as well. I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine the cause and treatment.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Giant Cell cause sudden blindness. The artery dries up going to the eye, Prednisone is taken to prevent this. I have Giant Cell.