Eye Care Community
Sudden decrease of vision in one eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Sudden decrease of vision in one eye

Sorry this is so long...The vision in my right eye suddenly decreased from 20/20 with my current glasses to 20/200 and can only be corrected to 20/80 with a new script. The optomatrist and ophthamologist could not find any eye disorder that would have caused this amount of change & will not write an new script until I see my neurologist. I see my neurologist for migraines and he does not consider this an emergency and I have to wait until my next appointment to see him. I should mention that I did slip and fall at a store a few weeks before the vision issue and sprained my neck, back and right hip. Should I continue to wait for my neurologist, see a neuro-ophthamologist or see another type of doctor?  Thanks for your help!
Please see a neuro-ophthalmologist.

Dr. O.
Is this something that I should ask for an immediate appointment or allow them to schedule it in a couple of weeks when they have an opening?
Thank you for your quick response! Is this an emergency type visit or one that can wait? It is extremely difficult to get appoinments in my area due to the lack of neuro-ophthamologists and neurolgists nearby. The nearest neuro-ophthamologists are @50 miles away & most are scheduled out until April. I am an accountant & depend on my vision to work, so I cannot afford to lose my vision.  Thank you for your advice.
Is there always a reason for a sudden uncorrectable loss of vision?  I have now had a MRI and seen a neurologist (who was not interested). Just wanted to ask prior to seeing a neuro-opthamologist.  Thank you!