Eye Care Community
Sudden large bright light blocking Right Eye vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

About a week ago, upon rising from sleep and turning on the lights. I experienced a sudden sort of light blindness in my right eye. It blocked my direct vision (my periphial vision seemed fine) with a heart shape bright image that was smooth and bright pink around the edges. I put my hand over this eye to block out all light and it took about 3 minutes for my sight to return to normal.

About 8 months ago I had something similiar happen when I was outside with a friend walking and photo shooting only the last time it happened it appeared to be in my periphial vision and I didn't recognize it as from either eye.. I'm guessing now it was coming from my right eye as well.

I'd like to know if there is an explaination for this odd occurance?  I do plan to see an optomologist to be sure there isn't anything seriously wrong with my eyes, but thought it would help a lot for me not to worry if I knew a bit more about what the problem might be...

To me it was as if my pupil was dialated or something to that effect, but I didn't think to look in a mirror with my left eye to see what my right eye actually looked like at the time it was happening.. When I blocked out all light, I didn't see any traces of the image with my hand over my eye.

Everything returned to normal a few minutes later. About 3 minutes later.

Thanks, Kathy
I see now the title "ophthalmologist" not optomologist as I spelled it.. LOL
I think I should mention that for years I've had ulcerations in the conjuntiva of both my eyes running from the nose towards my iris' .(both look minor and you don't notice it if you aren't looking for them).. at that time I was told it was due to dry-eye problems.. the ulcer that was in my left eye is gone now but the one in my right eye still remains, albeit it doesn't appear to have grown in size or come up over the edge of the iris more than before. (meaning it looks about the same as usual).
In young healthy individuals, especially women on BCP, the most common cause is "eye migraine" or "Ophhthalmic migraine" which have no headache. In older individuals it can be a sign of disease of the heart, brain, blood vessels or eye.   Use the search feature and archives to read about "eye migraines".

you do need to see an ophthalmologist, Eye MD. Find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Thank you, Dr. Hagan!
I appreciate you taking the time to respond..
I'll do just what you suggested! *s K