Eye Care Expert Forum
Sudden loss of focus

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sudden loss of focus

I'm shy of 65, male. Last week I showed up with a high hematocrit (altitude?) and have an appointment in six weeks to see what that's about. All other scores were in range. I have a cold treated only with an Rx nasal spray -- can't take decongestants.

Yesterday I went to an outdoor art show. I was getting lots of air into my lungs but it seemed as though I wasn't getting any oxygen to the blood. As we were about to leave, I suddenly lost focus and couldn't negotiate the uneven lawn. It was as though my glasses had stopped working or my eyes were crossed. My wife helped me sit down and I drank some water while she ran the standard tests for a stroke. After about ten minutes I seemed OK. She drove home. After an hour, my breathing was fine and my vision was fine.

What happened? I haven't a clue how to proceed but I can't have that happen again. I'm a visual artist and have to protect my vision.
It is far more likely that you had a transient ischemic attack (TIA) than any simultaneious bilateral problem. You should of course schedule an full comprehensive medical eye examination with an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) BUT you should see your personal physician as soon as possible.

TIA are generally caused by abnormalities of the heart, brain or cerebral head vessels.

JCH III MD  Eye Physician & Surgeon
Have you considered that it could have been a TIA? Then it would have nothing to do with your eyesight and you need to see a doctor.