Eye Care Community
Sudden pain behind and above eye when crying!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Lately, not always, but often enough to be concerned, my eye gets a really sudden pain when I cry! I have to stop myself from crying when it occurs. I've had alot of mild to moderate headaches lately--not on that side alone, just all over type, and this is different. It's a sudden deep hard pain! It doesn't happen everytime I cry but when I cry hard or when I suddenly start to cry as when something bad happens--Is it something to be concerned about? Should I tell my eye doctor or my primary care doctor? I don't think about it until it happens. It stops when I stop crying but really hurts!  So strange. I'm a lady in my early 70's. thanks.
You should see an ophthalmologist Eye MD find one at www.aao.org  it's a symptom that needs to be checked by a MD eye physician.

JCH MD
Thank you--I saw my opthalmologist on Friday of last week. I had a thorough check up and after dilating my eyes, I had a bad headache all day, especially over and behind the left eye. That's not unusual after dilation for me. She said my pressure is good in both eyes and I'm going to have cataract surgery on the problem eye  in April. I had the other one done last July. I had shingles on that side of the face and have had eye problems with the right eye since then--inturned lashes, occasional inflamation (inflammation). This is the 'good eye' that I get the pain behind. Unusual for sure.
Ask you EyeMD if he's done a gonioscopy to to be sure you not getting some angle closure when your eyes are dilated.

JCH MD
And how is that done? What does 'not getting angle closure mean'? and if that is the problem,  would that cause the headache and painful symptoms I have after the dilation occurs and could it cause damage? Also, does it just 'go away' on its own if that is what occurred or do I need to have her do something to 'fix it'? The last few days I've felt fine, so I assume all is well.

Since I've had this 'sudden pain' when crying at other times, are these related to what you're talking about  at all or is that  a separate thing going on? Lots of questions, but I need to know what I'm asking and why. thank you so much.
yanksgirl
Use the search feature and archives to read about angle closure glaucoma.

A gonioscope is a device to see if the outflow channels of the eye are wide enough.

JCH MD
Thank you for your help. My doctor specializes in Glaucoma, and did check out my eye pressure and has each time I've seen her. It is good--15 in one eye and 16 in the other.
I have a tender area on the bony portion under the eyebrow that doesn't go away either. It's behind that area and that side of my head that hurts badly when it happens. I've had this ongoing headache almost daily--mild to moderate lately. Today, so far, I'm ok. Yesterday I had it and it was an all over the top portion of my head. I used ice packs and took tylenol later in the day, but it sort of made me feel worn out. I slept well and today it is not there---so far. It's the eye I'm going to have cataract surgery on in April.
Good luck discuss your problems and your concerns with your eye MD

JCH MD