Eye Care Expert Forum
Suddenly cannot see out of right eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Suddenly cannot see out of right eye

In April I got floaters in my right eye and in May-June I got flashers that seemed to be more in my left eye  than the right but it was hard to tell. In July they both seemed somewhat improved after I used Visine daily, some expired AK-POLY-BAC and took Billberry.

This month the flashers began to look like a camera lens does when you shoot in darkened conditions (and you can see the lens shutting slowing and then blacking out). August 12th (Sun.) when I was putting on nail polish I kept missing the target: my fingernails!

Then I realized I could not see out of my right eye except for light, movement and forms (e.g., when I look at my wall calendar all I can see is a light colored rectangle, no picture or numbers or letters). It is like looking through a very heavy gauze and depending on the light I see a black and white rickrack design sometimes. It affects my entire vision field the same.

I have an appointment with an ophthalmologist August 27th but wonder what I have and what should I be doing for it during the next 12 days or should I see an eye doctor sooner. And how likely is it that my left eye will suddenly get the same affliction and I'll be totally blind forever especially since this morning I saw a very small floater in my left eye for the first time ever?

Thank you for your input.
I would consider your problem an extremely urgent problem. I would call the ophthalmologist tomorrow Friday, August 17th starting as soon as ophthalmologists office open (about 7:30 to 8:00 AM).  I would keep calling and declare it an emergency and state you need to be seen Friday. If you have a personal physician call them also and see if they will get your an appointment.

This is NOT something that should wait more than 24 hours. This is an extremely urgent potentially serious problem. Move heaven and earth to see an ophthalmologist TOMORROW.

(When you find out the problem please repost)

JCH III MD Eye Physician & Surgeon  

Avatar_dr_m_tn

JCH III MD Eye Physician & Surgeon