Eye Care Expert Forum
Suffering with Mucus Fishing Syndrome

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Suffering with Mucus Fishing Syndrome

Hi guys,

for about 8 or so months now I've been suffering with what I think to be "Mucus Fishing Syndrome" my eyes gather large amounts of versatile stringy mucus and I without any self control remove it with my fingers and cotton buds, this in turn making the matter even worse as I inflame the inside of my eyelids and surface of the eyeball. I've noticed that I'm not the only one, and that countless people are having this issue, upon seeing a doctor or eye specialist they are labelled with allergies or conjunctivitis, given an array or eyedrops and sent off, however this doesn't fix the issue. I'd like to extend a challenge, for me and anyone else reading this who suffers the same problem, this eye condition stems from contact with the eye, from now on do not touch your eyes with your fingers, or cutips or anything, even the softest of objects can irritate the surface of your eye and inner eyelids, secondly set alarms for every 3 hours, every time an alarm goes of, use a cold washcloth and gently press it on your eyelids (closed eyes) after doing so use polytears or any dry eye eyedrop to lubricate and sooth your eyes. keep doing this for 2 weeks, keep in mind during these 2 weeks, if your eye becomes inflamed due to touching restart the 2 week timer. This issue is a viscous cycle and I believe can only be rectified if nothing comes in contact with your eye for an extended period of time. The urge to fish out the disgusting mucus is only natural, you feel as if it shouldn't be there but remember that this mucus is just your body's way of reacting to irritation or inflammation, much like the pus that forms on grazed skin or what have you. I haven't conquered it yet but I know that if you STOP touching your eyes, the condition will improve, think of the mucus as your friend, if it becomes unbearable don't fish it out, rather use some eyedrops and look left and right repeatedly, and then press a cold washcloth on your closed eyes, good luck guys!  
Tags: mucus, Fishing, syndrom, mucus fishing syndrome, Cure, fix, help, eyecare, eyes, stringy, stringymucus
1 Comment
Where do you live?