Eye Care Expert Forum
Sunken Eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sunken Eye

My 12 year old daughter has had multiple strabismus surgeries and after the last one 5 weeks ago her eye looks noticeably sunken in, smaller, and deeper set.  Their is some ptosis as well because the eye is not forward enough to support the entire lid.  Is this treatable and where could the best possible treatment be obtained?  I have read about injections to restore lost orbit volume and also surgery to build up the eye socket, but I don't know how risky, complicated, and invasive these procedures would be or if there are any other options.  Should she refrain from physical activity so the condition doesn't get any worse?  She had beautiful big eyes before, and I am so worried.  Thank you for any advice you can offer.
You need to ask the strabismus surgeon about this. That type of surgery will not make the eye smaller and its likely that the droopy eyelid (ptosis) has gotten worse OR the eye could still be tender and sensitive and it is a protective action (guarding ptosis) and may get better with time.

If the problem persists after the eye is fully recovered from the surgery and several months have passed to see if it gets better you may want to consult an ocuoplastic surgeon about orbital or lid surgery.

Injections and orbital surgery are usually not indicated.

Discuss this with her surgeon.

JCH III MD
Thank you, I appreciate your response.

An additional symptom she is having is that when she cries, the tears from the sunken eye do not run out of the eye.  They just stay inside the eye somewhere.  Is that because there is now extra space between the eye and the eyelid skin?  How serious is this problem?

Thanks again for your help.
I'm not sure if I am posting this correctly to receive a doctor's answer, but would it be possible for someone to respond to the preceding question regarding the tears that do not come out of the eye?  Thank you so much.
yes, the sunken eye (enophthalmos) creates a larger tear lake and tears puddle there.

JCH II MD