Eye Care Community
Supplements with high eye pressures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Supplements with high eye pressures

I regularly have eye pressures of 26 in both eye and take a mulibitamin Visionace and a capsule of Flaxseed oil each day - could any of these supplements be causing me to have the high eye pressures or is there anything to take to reduce eye pressures?

I have been told I have high blood pressure too - if I reduce my blood pressure would my eye pressure reduce?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You should be on something to lower your eye pressure per se. Blood pressure control would probably help too but you need to get your IOP under control.
1. Supplements will not lower IOP
2. HBP will not cause glaucoma or raise IOP

You should be under the care of an Eye MD ophthalmologist watching for the development of glaucoma.

JCH MD
Thanks for your advice however I was refused treatment to lower my IOP as was told 26 is not that high by my Opthamologist at the hospital - I dont know what else I can do but sit and wait to develop Glaucoma which is awful really!
Anymore advice would be appreciated - I live in the UK

Dr Hagan, 26 mmHg is quite high, correct?
You should get a complete glaucoma workup.  The IOP reading of 26 is a bit high, but really without a measurement of corneal thickness it's hard to tell. The normal range of IOP is 10-21mmHg.
The important thing is 26 high enough to damage your eyes. You need visual field, corneal thckness measurement, stereo disk photos and gonioscopy. THen you need followed twice/year to look for damage. If any of these tests "go bad" then you need treatment.

If all the tests ae highly suspicious and you have a family hx of glaucoma most eye MDs would treat you.

JCH MD