Eye Care Community
Surgeon for removal of IOL in NY-NJ area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hi folks

Anyone know of a surgeon experienced with IOL removal in the NY/NJ area?  I am having a problem with an IOL.

I do not know anyone personally. You can find a list of membes of the Am Acad of Ophthal at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Thank you Dr. Hagan.  I searched explant and did not come up with anything.  What term should I use or search for as a specialty?
That is no a speciality. Most surgeons that do a lot of that work are cornea/cataract-IOL specialists. One of the medical schools or the Manhattan Eye and Ear Infirmary is good. The only medical school in NY that I would not recommend is Columbia.

JCH MD
I had a iol rezoom lenses put in March of 2006.I had a problem with the lens for almost 2 years.The doctor that put the lense in also took the lense out after 22 months.
Its only been 5 months since he removed the lense.Everything appears to be ok.
I will give you his name.Just keep in mind everybody is different.I will give you his name and you can research him out.Dr Grayson(1 201 368-2444
He works with Omni Eye Services.He has offices out of New Jersey & New York.
Good Luck
Thanks so much!  I have been having so much trouble finding anyone who does this.
DOUBLE thank you!  I just looked him up and he's really CLOSE to my home!  I also like his credentials.  I will call him.
And thank you as well, Dr. John.  The surgeon Mike recommends operates out of the hospital you recommend.  I am very hopeful.
Is there any particular reason why you would not recommend a doctor from Columbia? I thought this was a well respected institution.  (I'm asking because I was considering finding a second opinion there).
I was wondering this as well.
If you are interested in coming down to the Philadelphia area, I can recommend my Dr. who just removed my Crystalens and replaced it with a Restor lens (to match the one in my other eye).  The surgery involved cutting the old lens and removing it.  The procedure takes twice as long as the original surgery and can cause swelling of the cornea due to the extra manipulation.  This is not unexpected.
Hi ace399

I'm still exploring my options and I have close friends in Philly who recommended Wills Eye.  If you send me the Doctor's name, I'll look into it.  Thanks.
My doctor's name is Ignatius Hneleski, III.  He is part of the Vistarr practice in West Chester, PA.  He was trained at Jefferson medical University and was a resident at Wills Eye Insititute.  Don't confusenhim with his Dad, who is also in the same practice.  The phone number is 610-644-6064.

I had also visited Wills Eye prior to choosing Dr. Hneleski and the doctors that do their surgery are area doctors who split time with them.  I feel that you will get more personal service by going to a specific doctor of your owne choosing.  Good luck.
Thanks, ace399.  I went to see another local doctor this week.  He did not express much of an opinion about my temporal shadow.  He said just wait and see if it went away. I'd  have felt better about that advice if he'd acknowledged that he knew what I was talking about.  He dilated my eye and said my surgery was "perfect".  I asked him if he would explant the IOL if  the shadow I was seeing didn't go away and he said no and told me to go back to the original surgeon.  Then he said - and I quote - "I know (your doctor).  He's a great guy.  We've lectured together and gone skiing."  What his personal friendship with my doctor has to do with the professional results of my cataract operation is beyond me.  I left crying in my car.  

When I got home I got a call from Anne Sawyer, a program coordinator for Dr. Arthur J. Weinstein, MD, chairman of the board at Eye Associates of New Mexico. This woman did more to alleviate my fears in FIVE minutes than three doctors had in over SIX HOURS of office wait time and visits.  She also suggested I give it more time but she answered all my questions clearly and MOST IMPORTANTLY she did NOT dismiss my concerns in any way.  She knew exactly what I was talking about.  I found Dr. Weinstein online.  He'd written a side note to Dr. Randall Olson's article, "Demystifying Dysphtopsia", on Review of Opthalmology:    

http://www.revophth.com/index.asp?page=1_643.htm  

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  EVERY opthalmologist who does cataract implants should read this.  I had also contacted Dr. Olson and gotten a note from one of his people but Anne Sawyer really put my mind at ease.  Hopefully I won't have to travel to NM....but I know I can if I have to.

Sirena
Glad to see that you're getting some good advice.  I would definitely stay away from your first two doctors.  Doctors make a ton of money from performing cataract surgery and should pay attention to the patient's concerns.  They should be sensitive to the fact that not every patient is the same or each eye in the same person is the same.