Eye Care Community
Surgery to remove eye scar tissue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Surgery to remove eye scar tissue

Last April, I have a very bad eye infection that almost took my sight....A visit to the opthalmologist office and the Cleveland Clinic and 9 needle injections later....let me to eye surgery.  The retina had detached and the lens was like baby powder.  The surgeon cleaned out the debris and put a buckle in the eye along with oil.  I had the oil in for 3 months and then another surgery to removed the oil and then air was put in.  The surgeon also had to remove a lot of scar tissue during the surgery.  The months later, the scar tissue grew back.  One surgeon in the group recommended another surgery to removed the scar tissue.  A 2nd surgeon in the same group advised against it.  He said the retina could detach, which would result in me having to start all over again with the oil, the wait time, the air, the wait time.  The 2nd doctor of the same group said the Scar Tissue was very aggressive and I had a lot of it..  And there was no guarantee that the scar tissue would not grow back again.  I lost my peripheral vision due to the infection and that is gone for good.  Should I have another surgery to removed the scar tissue, or just learn to live with the blur that is in my eye.
Sue
1.13.11
Sorry that's not the kind of decisions we can make over the internet. Nor is it a decision your surgeon can make for you. You alone can decide what's best. Prognosis is not good and protect your good eye from disease and injury.

JCH MD
Thank you doctor for your response.  All of us who post on here appreciate your knowledge and appreciate you taking time to help us.

Sue
U R welcome
JCH MD
Dr. Hagan,

You gave a not good prognosis for my eye.  I don't expect a full recovery.  I know that will not happen..  I am wondering what you meant by Prognosis not good?

Sue

1.15.11
I agree with everyone who posts here.  It is comforting to be able to post questions that we forget to ask during an office visit.   I have a medical background (radiology) and so have some idea of questions to ask during a visit, so I write them down before my visit with the doctor.

There are times I have felt rushed in my visit with the doctor, which is sad due to the devastation one feels in losing sight in an eye.  Getting questions answered helps a person not be so afraid.  That is why this sight is such a blessing.

So I just want to thank all the doctors who participate in this.

Sue
1.15.11
About 9 years ago, I had an eye operation to remove glaucoma in both eyes. The doctor put in lens and I was extremely satisfied with the result.
I recently had another visit with the doctor and he told me I had scar tissue in both eyes from the earlier operation. He suggested using laser to remove the scar tissue in my left eye first. After a month, the vision in my left eye was somewhat blurred. I went back to him and he told me the scar tissue "flap" didn't fall down as planned. He advised me to wait another (6) weeks to see if the "flap" falls away. The alternative is an operation to remove the scar tissue.
My question is this: If the laser operation had been done correctly, how could it be there is a "flap" still hanging? To me, a flap (like the hanging chad) would have fallen away if all the scar tissue had been properly  removed. Is this a common occurrence when laser is used on the eye?
Any comments/suggestions will surely be appreciated.
Your description of your eye problem is too vague to give you any useful information. I suggest you consider a second opinion with another eye surgeon.

JCH MD
Is it pretty common for the laser surgery (to remove scar tissue) to not be successful?
The doctor says I have a "tag" hanging and will have to be removed by surgery. Sounds like the laser surgery was not properly done.

Thanks for your response.
the laser does not remove tissue. It cauterizes and buns causing scars.  The word "tag" does not suggest anything specific. YOu will need to get this information from your surgeon. Nothing suggests that the procedure was ddne incorrectly.
JCH MD
Spelling error "burns"    and "cauterize" sounds better than burn and "adhesions" sounds better than scars.

JCH MD
sounds to me like you might have  meant cataract surgery not  glaucoma.
If this is the case, it is quite common for a "film" to grow back after the cataract surgery.  A hole is cut into the film with a  lazar and the "flap" or tissue in the hole falls away.  This is called a YAG.  I don't know whether I am correct, I hope I haven't insulted you.  If I am correct you can research all of this on the internet.  Donna  
-