Eye Care Expert Forum
Switch in lighting aggravating eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Switch in lighting aggravating eyes

My workplace switched the overhead lighting from a warm colored lightbulb to a very bright white/blue light, both fluorescent, about six months ago.  I had absolutely no problems with the old lighting, but this new lighting is making my life miserable.  It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but as soon as I got into work on Monday morning, my symptoms started, and as soon as I got home, and especially well into the weekend, my symptoms abated.  These symptoms include eye pain/burning...like a sunburn, eye aching, headaches, nausea, fatigue, and an overall flu-like ill feeling.

This new lighting seems to have lowered my tolerance for other lighting similar to this color temperature as well, I now get these same symptoms in certain grocery stores, department stores, big-box stores...any where that there is bright-white fluorescent lighting.

I know it isn't a 'fluorescent lighting' thing, since I was perfectly fine with the lighting before, and I still have CFLs in my home that are 'warm white' that do not bother me.  I know it has something to do with the color temperature and the difference between the warmer light and the cooler light.  I have been seen by multiple eye Drs who can see no physical problems.  Is the next step to go to a neurologist?  What do I need to do to start making my life more comfortable?  
Tags: fluorescent light, photophobia, Eye pain
Make sure you have seen ophthalmologists and not just optometrists.  If this is the case and you don't have cataracts or inflammation in your eyes, you may want to consult with a neurologist that specializes in headache syndromes/migraines to see what they think.  Your symptoms are unusual for any type fo light exposure and may represent a subtype of migraine etc.

HV