Eye Care Community
Swollen, Heavy Eyelid
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Swollen, Heavy Eyelid

I often wake up with one large, swollen, heavy eyelid.  This has happened on and off since last year.  It alternates between both the left and right eye, top or bottom eyelid, and sometimes even both. There is no pain, and the swelling is normally slightly reduced after using a cold compress... It is not the same puffiness that occurs after crying, it is more of a heavy and droopy upper eyelid.  I have not noticed any patterns as to when the swelling occurs, and went weeks without makeup to see if that would help (if it was an allergic reaction.) This started when I was living away at school last winter, and just happened again (I have been here for one week now.)  It did not occur at home over the summer. Nothing seems to be effective, what could be the problem?