Eye Care Expert Forum
Swollen Eyelid and Headache

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Swollen Eyelid and Headache
Two days ago I noticed that when ever I look up and to the left my left eye would get this stabbing like pain that felt like it came from behind my eyeball. Later that night when looking in the mirror I noticed my left eyelid was getting red and puffy. Its two days later and my eyelid is now very swollen and if it gets any more swollen I will not be able to open my eye. I now also have a headache to go with it but I haven't detected a fever.
I wear contacts but have not worn them in almost a week, instead I wear my glasses. I have had surgery on my left sinus passage which damaged the tear duct in my left eye.

What should I do? I'm really starting to get worried now.
This could be something as simple as a chalazion or more complicated like preseptal cellulitis which can turn into a quite serious infection.  Unfortunately I cannot tell what you have so of course you need to see your ophthalmologist as soon as possible or if you don't have one then go to the walk-in clinic or emergency room.  If it is a chalazion or tender stye on the eyelid you can start warm compresses in the meantime.

MJK MD
ive had bad headaches for 6 weeks now and right eye swollen and painfull. went to my doctor and he orderd a mri didnt find anything also went to my eye doctor still found nothing .also did blood work still nothing . dont know what else to do please respond.