Eye Care Expert Forum
Swollen Lymph Nodes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Swollen Lymph Nodes

recently had a red swollen eye which was very scratchy and irritated. I went to the eye doctor twice, who told me it was a virus (the diagnosis on my discharge papers was punctate keratisis). This was about a week ago, while I was in a different state. The eye has been better for about a week, but I know have two submandibular swollen lymph nodes. I am not sure if I didnt notice them before or they were not there before. They are about an inch in diameter and one is on each side of the jaw (the one that is on the side where the eye was swollen is bigger than the other one). I have read that this can be cause by eye infection, but my question is, even though only one eye was irritated, could this infection have caused nodes to swell on both sides of my jaw?  And could they have gotten swollen after the eye was mostly better?  I am just not sure if it is something else causing the swollen lymph nodes (I had a sore throat), or if they are caused by the eye.  Thanks for your help.
It is possible that this is all due to an adenovirus infection. Your ophthalmologist can confirm that at your next visit.  -RSR MD
Also, I saw an Ophthalmologist, and do not wear contacts.

Thanks.
I was not scheduled to return to the Ophthalmologist.  Will this go away without any further treatment, or do I need further treatment?  If this will go away, about how long does it take?  I saw the Ophthalmologist in South Carolina (I was visiting my family), and live in Florida, so it would be a long trip back for a follow up visit.

I was reading about this on the internet, and it stated it can be transmitted through water.  I do swim in pools and wakeboard on rivers and lakes quite often so I guess that makes sense.