Eye Care Expert Forum
Swollen area in my sclera

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Swollen area in my sclera
I have been having redness in my left eye for a couple of weeks, no pain, a little discomfort. I noticed the other day that the white part(sclera?) is swelling near the dark part of my eye. It's kind of freaking me out, but I don't have insurance and am currently looking for work. I'm just trying to get an idea of what it could be. I will go to the doctor with my savings if I have to. Are there things I can try before I go see a doctor, that may help?
Dear Brodarb,

One possibility is that you might have an allergy responsible for swelling of the conjunctiva.  If it is an allergy, try using an icepack.  Unfortunately, other possibilities exist and without a history and examination, it cannot be determined.  Thus, I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD and find out in advance the price.  Often, doctors will discount the cost if you pay at the time of the visit.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California