Eye Care Expert Forum
Swollen bag under eye with pain when blinking

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Yesterday morning, My eyes was okay until yesterday afternoon when my left eye bag started to swell. This morning, when I just woke up, the swell got worse, plus there is pain to under my eye when blinking. Also the muscle in between my eye and the eye bag, think is the pupillae muscle, is also very red.
It's very painful and makes me very ugly. Can I know what is this swell, pain and redness about? And what should I do to make it go back to normal?
This sounds like an inflamed chalazion.  It may drain soon on its own. However if the eyelid redness gets worse, then it may be getting a secondary infection.  You should see an EyeMD now before the situation becomes a late-night crisis.
Now i just realise that under my lower inner lids, has an ulcer like white spot in it.
I suspect that you are suffering from a blocked oil gland, suffering what is commonly referred to as a stye or hordeolum. Warm compresses and gentle massage of the inflamed area should release the blockage and allow the puss that has formed to drain.

I should note that that a hordeolum is not an infection, i.e., it is not caused by a bacterial invasion of the tissue. Therefore, antibiotics are not a first line of treatment. It is an inflammatory reaction to the cellular material that is trapped in a blocked gland (meibomian gland). Secondary infections, however, can occur.

I am concerned about your reports of pain around the eye. If a secondary infection has occurred, infection in the tissues around the eye can become a serious problem. No comment on this matter would be complete without the warning that you should see a doctor, preferably and eye doctor to have the condition examined.