Eye Care Community
Swollen eye, headaches..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Swollen eye, headaches..

My mother, last Sunday evening, had a dizzy spell while sitting at the computer reading. She had been having these off and on for a few months. Normally when she was leaning over. Anyway, a second dizzy spell came on to the point of her almost fainting. She then got a very sharp pain in her right eye. She said it felt like someone hit her in the face. She went to the mirror and the inside of her white was blood red. The pain was so bad that she couldn't even touch her eye lid or anywhere under her eye. It became very watery and blurry.
The next morning all the symptoms where there still there plus a very bad headache. She saw her GP, that showed little concern in general (I was with her during the appt.), and he sent her to an eye Dr. He looked at her eye and did a VERY extensive exam with x-rays. He said her optic nerve is swollen and the red in her eye is not broken blood vessels, but they are swollen and engorged with blood. She will be seeing the eye surgeon on Monday for a follow up.
Both Dr.'s said that if the pain got worse or her vision got worse to go to the ER. In the mean time she's waiting on an MRI and MRA that is days away.  
She woke this morning with server head pain and she could hardly see out of her right eye. I took her to the ER where they did an MRI and MRA.  They said everything looked fine, but she had a slight sinus infection.  Can a sinus infection reek all this havoc?  Could an MRI or MRA miss something going on in the brain?  Thanks for listening. Angela
An test is only as good as the person doing the test.  I have seen MRI miss important problems such as an aneurysm.  On repeat at another center it was found.  I doubt a SLIGHT sinus infection will cause such a problem.  Discuss this with your ophthalmologist and possibly get a referral to a neuro-ophthalmologist.

Dr. O.
She went to the eye surgeon today and he diagnosed her with Tolosahunts Syndrom (syndrome).  We looked it up online and she had every symptom.  Thanks for responding!  
What is Tolosahunts Syndrom (syndrome) (sic)? Does it have anything to do with high blood pressure?