Eye Care Expert Forum
Swollen left eyelid

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Swollen left eyelid

Over the last year my left eyelid has swollen 6 times. It swells to the point that it hurts and I can barely see out of my eye.  The first physician I saw told me to put warm compresses on it. The ophthalmologist told me I was allergic to something. He gave me a prescription for an anointment that had a steroid.  The steroid does not seem to work at night. When it happens to swell in the evening. When I reapply in the morning it takes several hours but, the swelling does go down. The swelling can occur in the morning, afternoon, evening, and middlle of the night.

We thought it might be food and have eliminated several items, but still have not found what it is. I have changed makeup and wash my eyelid. Why would the swelling be just in one eyelid if it is an allergic reaction? I do not have any discharge. My eye does start to burn and I rub without thinking before the swelling occurs.  

Dear julianne46,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD.  If you do have an allergy, it could be due to something you put on the eye, something on your hands if you are rubbing it, or something you are in contact with.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California