Eye Care Community
Swollen muscles behind the eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Swollen muscles behind the eye

A few years ago I noticed that one eye protruded out slightly more than the other.  Then a year later my upper eyelid starting swelling.  Then below my eye I got a horizontal line (swollen) and it progressed to the whole underneath swelled from right to left of they eye.  I saw two specialist and had scans.  The last doctor thought it could be related to Graves disease.  He said the top muscle and the muscle closest to the nose was swollen and that is why my eye protrudes and some times there is a giant difference between the eyes.  No one can pin point what the problem is.  Has anyone else experience the same problem.
Graves disease is a clinical diagnosis.  See an oculoplastic surgeon for a second opinion.

Dr. O.