Eye Care Community
Symfony lense

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Symfony lense

I went to see my consultant yesterday, to have my eyes tested
and measured
I have decided to have both of my eyes done on the same day and have symphony lenses fitted
The date of the surgery is 24 of July
I will keep you posted
Wishing you the best of luck and please report back on your results as I am thinking about the Symfony lens for my other eye.  I think the Symfony lens is a great lens, but I personally would not have both my eyes done the same day.  I think the best decision I made was to do just one eye and see how it does.  Everyone is different and have different results and you might want to see how your vision does with one before doing the other.  Lets say everything goes great and you have no halos and etc, how about if your close vision is not exactly what you want then you might be able to decide to do micro monovision.  So unless their is a reason to do both eyes at once, like you are flying out of the country, my advice is to evaluate the results first.  

Thanks  for your kind wishes
Im a UK resident so the choice of lenses are pretty good
I have chosen to pay for my surgery so it allows me to select my surgeon
and the lenses also
Here in the UK it is normal to have one eye done and the second eye five to seven days later But on the national health service it is normal for the procedures to be carried out months or even years apart
Same surgeons different rules

My surgeon is confident that there will be no night time halos with this type of lens I have opted for extended distance and good intermediate
Reading glasses for very small print
While glasses free is obtainable he advised against it as the recovery period would be much longer and the problems you have pointed out would more likely Especially lack of focus and sharpness

I received a letter today telling me that my lenses have been ordered and would be ready in four weeks
So im all set for the 24July

I will keep you posted  Kind regards Gary

Just curious what is extended distance?  Does that mean instead of shooting for plano you are shooting to be slighly hyperopic?  If so you should talk to SoftwareDeveloper as he got the Symfony lens and I think his vision is hyperopic.

Also I was kind of surprise when you said you were going to a private doctor and it would take 4 weeks to get the lens in.  I know one person that went overseas to get the Tecnis Symfony and after getting his measurement they overnighted the lens.

Anyway keep us informed how things go.
re: "Just curious what is extended distance?"

I am guessing he likely meant "extended depth of focus" (or the flip side it also provides  "extended depth of field"). Or perhaps he meant "excellent distance", since multifocals have good distance vision, but not as sharp as a single focus lens, including the extended depth of focus lenses like the Symfony.

re: "think his vision is hyperopic"

Fortunately one eye is plano, 0 spherical correction, and the other is only slightly hyperopic, +0.5D. With eyes that are highly myopic before surgery  it is hard for them to get the lens power right so that isn't too far off, though erring on the side of being myopic is more useful. Due to the extended depth of focus that means I still have excellent distance&intermediate vision in that eye,but less near. There isn't a benefit to being hyperopic with any IOL that I can think of.

Most surgeons had said it would take 1-2 days to get the lenses, and I've been in touch with someone who had preop in Austria this Monday for the Symfony toric and is getting the lens today, Wednesday. I suppose its possible this doctor has more access to lenses since he is involved in the trials, it could be that otherwise   the factory has gotten backlogged if demand is higher than expected (for this and for whatever other IOLs they make there).
I had my left eye operated 20 days ago and the right after two weeks. The surgeon told me that here in Italy the operation of the two eyes in the same day is not permitted, it is necessary to wait at least 24 hours after having the first eye operated. Once they had made all the measures, it was necessary to wait a week to have the Symfony lens. My first eye has a good vision from far and intermediate, near vision is not good as I expected, and my right eye is a little myopic (-0,75), so I do not have from far a bright vision so as the left eye, but I have good intermediate; the micromonovision helps me so I can read the newspaper without glasses. I can say that I am satisfied of the lens and of the surgeon.
Yes I was quite surprised at both eyes on the same day
But my surgeon tells me that it is becoming quite common here in the UK
Under Private health care
There would be 30 minutes between each op To give the staff time to completely clear the operating theatre
My projected outcome is similar to yours Good distance and intermediate
able to read a newspaper But will need reading glasses for small print
CAD drawings etc
Less than four weeks to go  I will keep you posted
   Gary
Its odd they are using the same operating theatre, usually I thought they used different rooms. Regardless the idea is that they use completely different instruments with each eye so that there is minimal risk that a problem with one eye (say an infection from a contaminated instrument) is going to happen in both eyes. In my case I had my eyes done 1 day apart, but it was still done in different operating rooms.

I would recommend considering a small amount of monovision (micro or mini) since studies show that has minimal impact on stereopsis/3D-vision and depth perception, but can increase near a bit, which is shown if you look at the "clinical" tab on the Symfony website:

http://www.tecnisiol.com/eu/tecnis-symfony-iol.htm
Well I had both eyes fitted with the symphony lenses today
My eyes are still dilated but can seem my computer screen fine
Even with Perspex covers on both eyes
Im seeing hallos around bright lights but its early days
My distance vision is at least as good as with my glasses
Three line from the bottom of the eye chart
My surgeon has said he would be very disappointed if I couldn't see the whole of the chart within the next six weeks
I think intermediate is going to be very good
This was the one I was worried about
Computer screen mobile phone etc
I will keep you posted
   Gary
Its now 15 hours My vision is getting better by the hour
The hallows have gone
and I say hallows I mean every source of light had a burning ring around it
It would have been quite alarming if not for info on forums like this
Long way to go but im happy so far
My eyes were not to soar afterwards But as the anestetic wore off they were very watery and felt gritty
The grittiness has now gone Which is quite surprising
  Gary