Eye Care Expert Forum
Tear duct sprays water into my eye, when I blow my nose

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

In the last 3 months I have had this weird thing start happening.  When I blow my nose, the tear duct in my left eye literally fills my eye with water. I can almost feel it spraying.
It is not uncomfortable and I really only find it mildly annoying.  Mostly it affects my vision momentarily due to the volume of the fluid. Sometimes it drips down my face.
Is this a concern of any type?
What would cause this to start happening. There has been no change to my knowledge in my eye, sinuses or tear duct.
I've heard of this happening but never seen it in person.  I saw a guy on Letterman drink milk and shoot it out the tear duct - basically the same phenomenon you describe.  I don't see anythng dangerous about it - just rather annoying and embarrasing possibly.  I would consider punctum plugs as a possible treatment but then you might have constant tearing.  You obviously  have a very wide open nasolacrimal duct with flow able to go both ways.  When you sneeze or blow your nose you may need to learn to press on the nasolacrimal sac to put the block on backwards flow.

MJK MD
The weird thing, is that I have issue with dry eyes.  I was told I have oily tears that don't flow normally. Can these be related?  The dry eye issue is a long standing condition, the tear duct spraying is new.
Probably two separate things.  Try oral flaxseed oil 1000mg twice a day and warm compresses to eyelids twice a day to help with tear imbalance.  Also consider TheraTears Nutritional Capsules instead of flaxseed oil.

MJK  MD
My son had a sinus blowout fracture 4 months ago.  The sinus was fractured in six different places under the eye.  Now, he says, when he blows his nose, his eye tears up.  Is this anything to be concerned about?
He needs to be careful, sometimes in these situations, the patient can blow air right into the eye socket and cause excessive pressure.  He should explain the situation to his ophthalmologist.  I suspect there is some transfer of pressure from the sinus to the orbit but perhaps not a frank air pocket.

MJK MD
A related discussion, nasal/eye ducts in eye was started.