Eye Care Community
Technis lens requires YAG?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Technis lens requires YAG?

Hello, I received a Technis lens implant last Friday, and when I returned for a follow up visit on Wednesday, I complained that my vision was not distinct and defined as I had been told it would be, that in fact my vision was not as good as it had been before with contacts or glasses.  My doctor then told me I would have to have YAG 3 months later to remove a membrane, and that this was required in 100% of Technis lens implants.  I had never been told this before and it was not in the material I received before the surgery, and I have been unable to find corroboration of this online.  Does anyone have knowledge about this, thanks.
Often the membrane that holds the IOL in place does turn cloudy and requires a Yag laser capsulotomy.  However it is never 100% of the time, in fact over the last 10-15 years the % that need it has dropped from perhaps 60-70% (within 5-10 years) to about 30% with new IOLs within 5 years.

I would suggest getting a second opinion.

JCH MD
Thank you, the surgeon has a good reputation so I was very puzzled by his response, maybe I am his lone B- instead of A++ in his successful implant of this particular lens.  I am going to give the lens a couple more weeks to see if  my vision becomes clearer and if not I will get a second opinion.
Well good luck, you might ask again if you "misheard' the 100% needing Yag capsulotomy because that answer is off base.

JCH MD