Eye Care Community
Temporary white-out in one eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Temporary white-out in one eye

I'm male, 49, 6' tall, 160 lbs, in good shape and generally healthy. In 2004 I had surgery to graft an ascending aortic aneurysm, I returned to full activity. I now take 50 mg of Metoprolol and 150 mg of Avapro daily. My BP is generally normal, but can dip to as low as 90/60 after endurance exercise in the summer.

Three times since my surgery (including last night), I've experienced temporary complete loss of vision in one eye, I think it was my right eye each time. My vision transitions from normal to completely whited-out, and then back to normal, over about a 10 minute period. I note no other symptoms during this period and my BP is normal. I also on more frequent occasions experience red-out of my vision in one or both eyes. This comes on slowly, from the edges of my visual field and can progress to cover most of the field. This is often associated with low post-exercise BP. In both cases, I find that getting up and walking around, and drinking a large amount of water seems to help reverse the effect. I note no other associated symptoms

My cardiologist has no explanation for what is happening. My eye doctor has Optimap photos of my entire retina that go back to 2000, before my surgery, there are no abnomalities, and my interocular pressure is normal.

My family history has my mother and grandmother both having controllable glaucoma, with onset in the late 60's, both are deceased.

Any explanation of what is going on with my vision would be appreciated. The red-outs I understand, they seem to be due to low BP due to post-exercise dehydration and a refractory drop in pressure. The white-outs I have no explanation for and I cannot find any references to similar conditions.
That is a worrisome story. I would see a neuro-ophthalmologist. You can find one near you by going to www.aao.org.

I'm surprised your cardiologist is not more unsettled by these symptoms.  My feeling is that you will need an echo cardiogram, carotid doppler and and MRI/MRA of the head and blood work to include a sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein to at least tell you its nothing to worry about now.

Loss of vision in the eye is a big time symptom that necessitates a full court press to find the cause. One time the eye could go out and the vision not come back.

Find a neuro-ophthalmologist and have him/her and your cardiologist work through the testing. If they don't find anything and the episodes continue see a neurologist.

JCH III MD
Thanks for the reply, I'll see a neuro-opthamologist about this. I've had multiple echocardiograms, multiple MRA follow-up's for my aortic surgery, two stress echo's, and a carotid doppler. All have been normal and show that the repair is fine and I have no blockages or other issues. I also should note that I have severe myopia, about -10.0 diopters in both eyes with no significant astigmatism, and I wear both glasses (95% of the time) and contacts with no problems. I'm also don't have Marfan's or Ehler-Danlos, and have had a normal slit-lamp exam with no lens displacement.
------------------
FYI, I just set up an appointment with a local neuro-opthamologist, thank you very much for the web reference, it made it simple to find a specialist.
You're welcome. Hope it turns out well. If you find out something definite let us know. This can be a learning experience for all of us.
Merry Christmas
JCH III MD
I have just experienced the exact event. For the first time. Complete whiteout in right eye after waking in seated position, having exercised for an hour in a gym a few hours earlier. I am also on Metoprolol 50mgm daily, CAB graft ten years ago. I am male, 78, 73.5 kg, BP controlled by Simvastatin. Newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic not requiring medication.
Since I occasionally suffer syncope due to either (or both) orthostatic hypertension and hypo(I think)glycaemia, whiteouts are not uncommon to me, but always bilateral till today. I assume this is a TIA of the left optic nerve? No glaucome or headaches, but over the past few years have experienced some peculiar ocular things such as a massive scotoma, scintillation, and transient hypnopompic xanthopsia (for a few minutes after waking, everything seen in bright yellow). I'm myopic, but don't normally wear my glasses. I suppose, strictly, a whiteout can't be termed a loss of vision, even though I could only see a bright white light with apparently (according to my wife) no pupillary dilatation and only a vague outline of close objects in bright sunlight for the few minutes before normal vision was restored.
-
Ok, so I am only 38 and female, but I had a white-out recently in my left eye, while standing at work (I am a hair stylist).  It started as a slow blur, like I was looking through extremely hot air, then became a complete white-out, which made finishing my customer very difficult.  The white-out itself lasted for only a minute or so once it was fully white.  But the whole experience lasted for about 10 minutes.  I felt slightly light headed, but not overly dizzy.  I've been having headaches lately, waking up with dull headaches in the morning.  I'm not an excessive coffee drinker, only 1-2 cups in the morning and that's it for the day.  I have never had a blood pressure problem.  Diabetes runs in my family, but I'm not finding any info to support any particular reason for this white-out.  Should I be making some doctor appointments?
FYI, it's some 3+ years later, and I still have these symptoms from time to time, though the white-outs are very rare (1 per year or so). My visit to the neuro-opthamologist was inconclusive. He saw some very subtle bilateral vision field weakness at the very edge of my low quadrants, and said it could be indicative of some damage in my vision center of my brain, but that it wasn't a sure diagnosis. As there seemed to be no clear course of what to do next, I'm just waiting to see if anything changes. So far, if anything, it's better than it was.
Just had a white out at work.  Sitting down on computer.  This is the second time I had this.  Lasted about 15 minutes in left eye.  I am also on Metroprolol 50 mg.  I relate this to a migraine.  White out is similair to turning the white balance up on a tv until you can't make out the image, except that a small part (10% ) of my left eye field of vision is still available.
The exact same thing has been happening to me once every 6 months or so. My left eye just starts spotting and eventually goes completely white after a period of 5 mins then all vision slowly comes back after the next 5 mins. I can see just fine out of my right eye but everything is white with my left. I am currently not taking any medication. I am 28 years old, 6ft, and 160 lbs. I am very active and it great shape.  I drink alcohol but not very frequently and I have never smoked. I had a history of seizures when I was 8 to about 12 years old but I have not had any since. The episodes happen regardless if I am sitting or standing. Should I just keep track of the episodes and see a neurologist if they start getting closer together?
This sounds exactly like what is happening to me I am 30 years old 5'11'' and 200 lbs. it comes on very suddenly lasts about 10 min or so then goes away no pain no previous medical history at all very healthy other than maybe the occasional bag of candy or some fast food... I do run somewhat a little low on bp generally about 98/70... Not sure whether to be worried or not....