Eye Care Community
The general prognosis of having High Myopia, and its secondary problems...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

The general prognosis of having High Myopia, and its secondary problems

I have been a high myopic since I was a child.  When I was 29 (I am now 50+) I had 2 retinal detachments in my right eye and cryro therapy in the left.
After the surgery at Moorfields Eye Hospital, I was left with a 5 diptres difference between each lens, right eye just under -25 and left -18.75.  Also I noticed that I had re-started a squint in the right eye.
As I aged 40+ I needed reading glasses to go over contact lenses.  Then I developed occular hypertension, which has now  advanced to glucoma.   By 2001 I had begain to notice distortion from my right eye.  I gave-up contact lenses and went on to wear thin density glasses, fortunately, I used to read by removing my glasses. I had been an avid reader until 2008

Over the intervening years, I have had a left disc haemorrage, strabismus surgery (squint) and a  corneal defect being fixedt resulting from my buckle poking through

By 2008 I had cataracts in both eyes. My local eye infirmary, under the care of my Glucoma  consultanth removed my lens from left eye.  Surgery went well and a -1 or 2 IOL was inserted.  Effectively from that point onwards I no longer needed distance glasses for my eyes, because my better eye hit about 6/18+2 and the right eyed was blinded by the cataract and was virtually useless anyway due to  terrible distortion and my brain switched off from using that eye anyway.

In answer to questions on cataract removal, make sure it is the consultant who removes your lens, either a retinal or glucoma consultant.

In June 2008 I went to have my right cataract removed, but it was perilious for the surgeon, because it was on the verge of falling into the back of my eye, resulting in a possible retinal detachment.  So having been offered surgery from the back of the eye to remove the cataract and not through the front, I refused, knowing how bad my distortion on that eye had been.  

I wish with all my heart I could say that removal of my cataract on my left eye was great, but I have now other problems, such as not being able to read like I used to.  I have no near or intermediate vision, without the help of strong reading glasses +7.00 for reading in short spells and +3.50 for my computer which has been adjusted  for my eye.

As usual with IOL, I cannot tolerate light on my left eye and always sit in doors with curtains partially closed.  I cannot stand not having any natural near or intermediate vision without glasses, because now I am blurry for both and just slightly clearer for the remaining bit of my limited distance vision.

However, in view that I had no choice but to have cataract surgery as my vision had dropped to 6/60 and count fingers. It was the only sensible option left.

Now my left eye vision is getting distored, obviously have retinal problems with constant intermittent bluring, rapid tiredness of eye,headaches etc.  Plus I have now lost some of my outer vision, and therefore have quite a blinked vision.  I do not think it is tunnel vision as of yet. Nor do I have any night vision

So my question is, what honestly, is the long term prognosis for me or people who have pathological, chrioretinal atropy, chronic myopic degeneration. whatever you want to call it

Also is there a strong chance that I will develop age related macular degeneration?

I have been registered partially sighted since 2005 and I  feel my vision is getting worse, even bearing in mind my distance is 6/18 give one or two extra letters. Right eye, hand movement.  My Eye doctors are very good at not explainging anything to me, I often go home feeling frustrated from the eye infirmary at not knowing what is going on with my eyes, even through I know it is because of my myopia.
Will someone please tell me whether I face the future of being registered serverely partially sighted (blind) Or whether there are other stages associated with high myopia
Thank you very much
No one can predict.

Dr. O.
here's what I suggest:

make sure you don't have a secondary cataract (although, your loss of peripheral vision is probably due more to the glaucoma, but you never know)

try giving contacts another shot, even if you've got dry eyes there are still options as lens materials are getting better and treatments for dry eyes are available: get a contact lens for NEAR and then wearing glasses for distance.

make use of aids such as magnifiers to help you read.
also, use other low-vision aids such as tinted glasses (they come in varying colors and different amounts of visible light transmission levels) to help reduce glare and filter out unwanted light, enhance contrast, etc. Make adjustments to your computer screen, change font, contrast, etc., so you can see it better.

if you're not already taking them consider taking an AREDS vitamin supplement.