Eye Care Expert Forum
Time for post-vitrectomy scotoma to recover?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I'm now 7 weeks post-vitrectomy with a scleral buckle to fix a retinal tear.  I came out of the procedure with a narrow band of no vision (scotoma) stretching from the fovea out to the edge where the photocoagulation repair is located.

Recently I've noticed the distinct edge of the scotoma becoming fuzzy and greater visual sensation at the extreme edge.  But the portion at the fovea is still there. I've also noticed that the brightness of the scotoma when I close my eyes is starting to diminish.

Should I expect to regain some of my vision in this region?  Do such scotomas appear to recover from the fovea out?  Or from the edge towards the center?

Dear eye_patient,

I would speak about this with your retinal specialist who is familiar with your eye.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

seven weeks post-op is still relatively early. I would say give it at least 3 months. You may regain vision, you may not. Damage to the center of your retina is harder to recover than the periphery.