Eye Care Expert Forum
Tired Eyes 24/7

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Tired Eyes 24/7
About a week and a half ago, I started experiencing extreme eye tiredness. They don't hurt, they're not sore, and they don't itch. They just feel extremely heavy and tired all day long, which could be compared to a burning sensation, I suppose.

I'm on allergy medication, don't spend my days staring at a computer screen and I wear glasses that have a prescription that is around a year old.

I had a strong bout with anxiety about a month ago and suffered from over breathing/hyperventilating for a couple of weeks. That's been under control for a couple of weeks now.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my eyes are so completely tired all the time?
I would see an ophthalmologist for a full exam. First your prescription for the glasses should be checked to be sure that no change is needed. Oral allergy medicine and anti-anxiety medicine can really dry the eyes, so that may be part of the problem. Heavy upper lids with overhanging skin can also cause some fatigue, because the upper lid and forehead muscles are working hard to keep the lids elevated. Start with an artificial tear drop like Refresh, Optive, Systane, or Blink Tears in both eyes 4 times a day. If you don't experience relief, then definitely see the ophthalmologist.