Eye Care Community
To JodieJ
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

To JodieJ

Dear JodieJ,

In Aug 2006, you wrote:
"Aspheric IOLs improve contrast sensitivity/distance vision, but near and intermediate vision are not as good as with a conventional lens.  One article even states that reading glasses are mandatory for satisfactory intermediate vision with an aspheric IOL. "

I realize that this was over 3 years ago and things change,... hairstyles change, and even opinions change.
Do you know if this is still true with today's Aspheric IOL's?

Thanks!!

Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
711220_tn?1251894727
for JodieU.

Dr. O.
Blank
I did a lot of research before my own cataract surgery in September 2006.  At that time aspheric monofocal IOLs were very new, and many cataract surgeons in Chicago were not using them yet.  I had an excellent (but very conservative) surgeon, who felt that nothing could possibly be better than the traditional spherical AcrySof model.  He gave in to my insistence on getting aspheric AcrySof IQs.  I strongly suspect that today he's implanting mostly aspheric IOLs.

Those (above) quotes are based on the findings of online research from 2006, and you might be able to locate the studies if you spend some time searching.  I recall another 2006 study in which a small number of patients had a spherical IOL implanted in one eye and an aspheric IOL implanted in the other.  The majority of patients could not perceive a difference between the IOLs.  Of those who believed there was a difference, more preferred their vision with the spherical IOL.

I haven't been following the latest research in this area.  In all likelihood, the difference in vision provided by various models/brands of monofocal IOLs is too little to be perceived by the great majority of people.  And probably a lot of the "special features" of particular monofocal IOLs are mostly marketing hype.  There is an advantage, though, in going with an IOL which a surgeon has implanted many times:  S/he can factor her/his experience into the power calculations and get closer to your refractive target.  

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank