Eye Care Expert Forum
Toddler is Squinting at Night to View TV
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Toddler is Squinting at Night to View TV

Hello, for the last 2 nights my 2 1/2 year old son has been squinting while watching TV just before bedtime. The TV is 6 feet away. In the mornings, I have asked him to identify pictures (about 3-5 inches in size) of various objects from a distance of 20 feet away and he was able to do so correctly without squinting. He also was viewing the TV in the daytime (one from 6 feet away and one from 8 feet away) without squinting.

I am concerned that he may have developed myopia due to too much TV viewing - sometimes from a very close distance since he would play with toys on the table holding the TV set. If he is able to see well in the day, could this still be myopia? I plan to make an appointment for him to see an optometrist or opthamologist on Monday. Is there anything I should do now besides eliminating TV in the meantime?

Also we have been outdoors playing at the park the past 2 days for the first time after the winter and it is somewhat dusty out. Could there be a relation between his squinting and outdoor exposure? Thank you kindly for your answers.

- A Concerned Mom
Tags: myopia, vision
1731421_tn?1358826971
It's very doubtful that he has developed sudden myopia. I think it's more of a relationship of outdoor dust allergen exposure or he's just squinting for the sake of squinting. Good idea on the check up though.
Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
2 Comments
Blank
I believe this is the case too but was worried about the worst.  Thanks very much for your reply doctor!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
1731421_tn?1358826971