Eye Care Expert Forum
Tortuous Veins

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Tortuous Veins

My eye doctor told me yesterday that I have tortuous veins and that I've shown signs of it since 2003.  I am now 47 and on blood pressure medication for the past 4 months.  I suffer from severe migraines and my blood pressure is normal under medication.  Prior to 5 months ago, my blood pressure was in the normal range.  What does having tortuous veins mean to me, do they affect my eye sight in the short or long term, and is there anything I can do to correct it?
There is certainly nothing you can do about it. It's really just a sign that you might have hypertension which is already known now.  All you can do is control your blood pressure as well as possible and lead a good healthy lifestyle.  In and of itself the tortuous veins are just something to look at but there is no treatment necessary for them but rather your overall health should be optimized in order to maintain optimize the health of your eyes.  Of course keep regular follow up with your ophthalmologist.  Occasionally very tortuous veins can be a sign of an impending or very low grade vascular occlusion or even other vascular diseases but that would be something that would your ophthalmologist could see an discuss with you.

MJK MD