Eye Care Expert Forum
Tortuous blood vessels

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Tortuous blood vessels
Are tortuous blood vessels in the eye common?  I have been identified with Erythermalgia, and do have episodes of red, swollen feet/legs/hands.  However, I have other symptoms (e.g., longstanding GI difficulties, hypertension) that are not consistent with this.  I have looked at differentials for Erythermalgia, and one -- Fabry Disease -- seems consistent with many of my symptoms.  I do realize that it is a rare disorder, however, and as such unlikely.  One of the symptoms listed for Fabry is tortuous blood vessels -- which I have in both eyes (look like tight waves).  Is this a common finding, however, or typical of this (or other) disorders?

Thank you
tortuous blood vesses is very common (daily in my practice). Common causes are: high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, elevated cholesterol, blood disease, impending retinal vein occlusion and "normal variant".

jHC III MD