Eye Care Expert Forum
Tortuous veins in the eyes
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Tortuous veins in the eyes

I've just been for an eye examination and was told that my eyes are fine and my glasses don't need updating.  
But what I have also been told is that the veins in my eyes are tortuous.  I was asked if my blood pressure was high, but it has never been high in my life, I'm 59.  So I wonder what could have caused the veins to become twisted apart from high blood pressure?  
I would appreciate some information please.
Many thanks
Related Discussions
284078_tn?1282620298
ISometimes it can be seen with hypertension or cardiovascular problems, or things like chronic smoking.  Sometimes it is just a finding that some people have that cannot really be explained.  In a nutshell if the eyes are otherwise very healthy, then I would recommend you have an evaluation of your blood pressure,cardivascular health and cholesterol and lipids. Obviously smoking is a no no.   If everything checks out good I would just continue to have your regular eye examinations with you ophthalmologist and your regular medical checkups as well.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Kutryb Eye Institute
Titusville Edgewater, FL
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank