Eye Care Expert Forum
Traumatic giant retinal tear

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Traumatic giant retinal tear
I am 21 years old male.I had an occular trauma 2,5 months ago in my right eye that created a giant retinal tear 6 to 9 hour (90 deegres).The retinal specialist sealed the retina with laser.I stil have flashes at night and when i move my eyeball.I am in a danger o retinal dettatchment?Will i be able to play any sports in the future?will i be able to have normal exercise such as running or soccer?Now with the sealed grt tear what are the possibilites of a rettinal dettatcment? i am so scared that i will lose my vision.I would like to get old to get 60 or 70 without any dettatcment is that possible having a tear like mine? .
If your Giant tear is sealed, then you should be fine. You still have a risk of detachment, but as long as you visit with your retina doctor regularly then any changes can be detected.

Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
Thank you very much for replying doctor.How long i will be in the risk of dettachment?For a year or for the rest of my life?And what about sporrts or exercise?thank you very much.