Eye Care Expert Forum
Traumatic mydriasis

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Traumatic mydriasis

I was shot in the eye with a BB pellet gun about two months ago, although being very lucky to not be permanently blinded I have traumatic mydriasis in my left eye. I am extremely self conscious about this. The eye clinic prescribed me with with numerous eye drops; anti-inflammatory, anti-infective and atropine. I had to take them quite frequently each day. I very foolishly stopped taking them after about a week. I regret my ignorance greatly and wonder if it is too late to take the atropine again as an effort to cure or reduce my mydriasis as it has been 2 months since the incident. I am aware of other options such as contact lenses but they seem to come with strings attached such as unpleasant side effects, the same can be said for pilocarpine eye drops. - Logan Williams
Hi Logan, I would go back to the eye clinic and let them know about stopping the eye drops. Iris repair (pupil) can be done with intraocular surgery as well. That's an option, but a cosmetic one. You won't find many doctors who will do this procedure for someone with cosmetic concerns.
Tim
Thank you for your reply Doctor, I will be sure to mention it in my next check up. Has intracocular surgery been known to reduce the dilation of the pupil, or is it to aid with the sight of the eye only?
Logan Williams