Treatment for Dameaged optic nerve after head injury
My Daughter met with an accident 7 months before and had head injury. after CT Scan doctors said report is ok. but after five month, i found she started squinting. I took her to the Eye specialist where they said her right eye optic nerve is damaged for that reason she has lost vision in th right eye. She is just 12 years old. I seek help from the doctors to suggest any treatment which can give hope to our family.

Generally the optic nerve cannot be "fixed' operated on or is there medicine to help it. Get a second opinion anyway. Find one at www.aao.org

JCH IIMD
What can done to correct a damaged optic-nerve? Any help?
My son had a football head injury 4 weeks ago and within a couple of days his vision in his eye deteriorated. He was referred to our local A&E who sent us to the hospital eye clinic. He had eye scans, field test and other tests and they told us he may have damaged his optic nerve. Doctor said if it is bruised, once that goes his vision should return. I said if it's damaged what's next, glasses? The Doctor replied if the optic nerve is damaged nothing can repair it, :( We're now awaiting results of MRI scan as they are checking for actual swelling around the nerve. He is currently living with a constant headache, which isn't good when he has his GCSEs coming up!
glasses don't help optic nerve damage they help refractive errors.

Often oral steroids are used in high doses with rapid taper. Goal is to relive swelling in brain and around nerve.  MRI are done to see if there is pressure on the optic nerve especially from skull fracture, if so neurosurgery is done to try and remove pressure from skull bones.

Remember all his life the OTHER eye is the most important eye and everything must be done to protect it from injury or disease.

JCHM D