Eye Care Community
Treatment for dilated pupil (traumatic mydriasis) or all the other eye ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Treatment for dilated pupil (traumatic mydriasis) or all the other eye problems

Hi, I am a girl in Shanghai, China, who has been suffered from traumatic mydriasis since an accident caused by a kid throwing his toy towards me Oct 6, last year, very unfortunately.
I've been search for a solution since Oct 24, when I found it is a huge problem. It is not long for me to find out the western treatment is not helpful at all, just as the information I got in this forum. And the doctors and experts tried to persuade me into getting into the situation, which, for me, is not satisfied at all. Then some experts suggest me to try some traditional Chinese treatment. So I tried Chinese herbal medicine and Chinese acupuncture. Well, the herbal medicine did work well for the first few day, as I can see the grids of the window in my room instead of just a very vague view. It did work well since then, so I quited drinking it after Chinese New Year, that is, early this Feb. ( I am still suffering acnes by product of the herbal medicine as it is too 'hot'. And I have shallow puncture with cupping treatment every week, unbelieveablely painful and not cured yet.)
Last but not least, the most amazing thing is acupuncture. I'M CURED. At first it is very strange when the doctor put that needle in my head, espically in my orbit, sometimes you'll feel full and sometimes you'll feel sour, not just painful. I mean, it is not so painful after serveral weeks of treatment, you'll get to use to it. It's even more strange when you're connected to the electric lines, with which it will help you recover better. I can feel improvements since the first two weeks and until this June. I just did a VEP test in the most prestigous ophthalmic hospital this afternoon and a shoot for my eyeground two months ago. And all the tests, including the eyeground check shows that I'm definitely cured, with minor mydriasis still, of course much much better.
And the best thing is, I am not the only one there to get the great treatment. A lot of patients have been there for years or even decades. Most of them are told they are inevitability going to be blind soon or eventually, by the ophthalmologists. Some of them are getting better, and some of them are not. Well,  as the doctor told me, their cells have already been ruined, and it is not in the transformation process. He can help you cure it if it is still in the transformation process. The good news is that you won't get any worse for almost all kinds of problems. ( Only very few people who does not feel better. Maybe, acupuncture is not a good idea for nervous breakdown. Two guys is been having the treatment for a long time, and they do not feel any better. I think maybe it is the God idea to let them leave the noisy city and go to the countryside, or even live in the forest, ideally.) The doctor serves for up to 70 patients a day, 5 days a week, sometimes for one o'clock to seven or eight o'clock without rest. That's is really very incredible as he is already over 60. The patients have to wait even 3 hours to get the treatment, more than one hour for a fast pass, I mean, he is really popular even there is actually no information in any kinds of forum yet. Almost all new patients are recommended by ophthalmologists in other hospital.
It is certainly not a wise advice to go to China for the treatment,  cause it need a very long process, or even the rest of your life. (I bet you know if the doctor told that you are going to be blind, and you'll very willingly to have that treatment for the rest of your life to avoid it.) You can find a very very very great acupuncturist with a lot of expertises for help. Just a tip if you got black and blue by acupuncture, as it will happen from time to time since your acupuncturist don't have a lot people to practice for eye problem, cover the area with ice and the first 24 hours, and after that, covered with boiled eggs and you can always boil the egg again to let it be hot.
And I'm unemployed for two months, please don't hesitate to contact me if your Shanghai office is hiring a new secretary. (I have four years of experiences.) Thank you for reading!

This discussion is related to Treatment for dilated pupil (traumatic mydriasis).
Err, sorry, could someone delete this? I didn't notice it as the first send out lead to a wrong address.
-
I was just wondering if your mydriasis actually got better from the acupuncture, or just everything else.  I have mydriasis in my left eye and wonder if acupuncture could help me?
Acupuncture will not help.

JCH MD
I didn't think so but I thought she had said that.
There are a lot of things she says that I doubt.

JCH MD
Is your mydriasis caused by an accident? How long has it been? I started the treatment one month after the accident, and my eyes are still slight different. For example, if my right eye is 3mm in diameter, then my left eye is 4 mm in diameter. I have the VEP test to show that I do recover from the accident, the report I got last year showed that my left eye delayed in actions, it contracted and extended slowly at that time. I got the report last week, and it is all right now.
The treatment includes acupuncture, then get the neddles connected to electricity for more than 30 minutes, after that, hit by a hammer with seven nails on it with the eyebrow area, ear therapy and injection around the eyes.
I have to tell you, if the accident happened more than 3 months ago, you are very unlikely to recover, however, I believe it still helps. Normally, if you do not feel any improvement in 3 months, you should try something else.
Doctor, I wrote the article just because I knew how frustrated one will feel when there is no solution for the disease. ( I cannot write that in Chinese, as there are already too many patients in the hospital, almost more than the doctor to handle.)
I sued the parents of the naughty kid this June, and I just got the forensic identification done last week. So if you have any doubt, do not hesitate to let me know.
I'm pleased your condition got better, but since traumatic dilated pupil often improves on its own your experience does not prove a benefit. I do not want every patient that comes to this website with traumatic mydriasis running out to get acupuncture. Bear in mind that acupuncture has been shown to help some conditions. Yours is not one of them. Nevertheless thanks for posting and good luck.

JCH MD
I forgot to mention something above.
When I first saw how the acupuncture works, I was frightened. Yes, I am a local Shanghainese girl, born and grow up in Shanghai. But I never see acupuncture . (Ok, I did got the kind-of therapy for milk addiction when I was 2. However, that is not tradtional acupuncture, the doctor moved the neddle back and forth inside my hand. Totally ... I do not want to recall it.)
It is totally shocking when you see everyone came out the office with a lot of neddles all over the head, well, if you are here for the first time. Fortunately, everyone told me although it looks horrible and it is a little painful, it is very helpful to you. So I presist, and it works!    
Thank you for your words, doctor.
I do not know if I can improve myself so much. My left eye cannot contract at all at that time, even in strong light. Well, first of all, Chinese herbal medicine helps a little. It is pills, not herbal soup. And its function is to let the blood move faster.
OK. I believe my left eye will improve a little, very little by myself. That's why I recommend acupuncture here.
I do not think everyone with traumatic mydriasis should have the treatment, esp if you cannot find a perfect acupuncturist in town. There are hundreds of acupuncturists in Shanghai, and only two of them dare to do it in patients' eyes. Even my acupuncturist is the best in Shanghai, we still got black and blue in our eyes, of course, in rare occusion, only because eyes are most sensitive and delicate organ in our body.
Well, I think acupuncture is a good solution for these two situations:
1. The patient is in China or decides to relocation in China,
2. The patient has the determination to do whatever to get the eye recovered.
Thanks and good luck. Certainly no one has the experience of the Chinese with acupuncture.

JCH MDD
After all is said and done, I'm not sure what to think about all of this.  Two things...I am going to China in November and I am willing to do whatever it takes to fix my pupil.  That being said (Doctor), is there any validity to this treatment for my problem?  I'm sorry to repeat myself, I'm just confused at this point.
1. In my opinion no validity of acupuncture to treat your problem.
2. If you want to travel see Dr. Robert Osher MD of the Cincinnati Eye Institute or Dr. Doug Koch MD of Baylor. Both specialize in complicated eye surgery and should be able to help you.  There are others you could probably research closer to where you live.

JCH MD
Hello, doctor.
I think you don't believe it only because you don't want to convey the wrong message without your own investigation. However, you don't have experience for that doesn't means it doesn't work.
To brm416, it is still more than one month till Nov, I suggest you check with other ophthalmologists first.
-
Hey Doc,

I was just wondering about something you said earlier about traumatic dialated pupil often improves on its own.  Do you think my pupil could actually still improve (after a year and a half) on its own or do you think it is pretty much going to remain the same.  Also, is there anything that I can do to help it recover other than surgery.  I also have pilocarpine drops that I sometimes use when I am feeling really self concious.  Contact lenses are not really an option, I used to try to wear them before I had lasik done and I just can't.
I also have traumatic mydriasis, Dr Hagan, right now my pupil doesnt move, react to any light changes .. am i to assume this pupil will improve on its own ?
also, in the dark, my vision in my affected eye (right eye) is a little dim, darker and blurrier ... is that normal .. ?
Hi, Cloud87,
I had that color problem, too. At that time, my view of color of affected eye is slightly different. For example, the floor is white with dust, so the correct color is light yellow. However, I can only see white through my left eye. I can only feel different for yellow and gray, gray for a short period and yellow for a very long period. And, my eyes look different at that time, the affected one are darker than the other one. (I don't mention it before because I cannot prove it.)
Cloud87, I really can feel your pain. Try to do something before it is too late, good luck.
Dr. Hagan, are you still with us?
Thanks huihui for the first week it was very blurry, now its back to normal, but my IOP is still high and the pupils still dont respond to light ...
Cloud87, if you got hit recently, maybe you can try acupuncture or some  Chinese medicine. The herbal medicine helps very little, however, it is still much much better than just vitamins from ophthalmologists. Below is a formula that helped me a little. Please find a doctor to check if it works for your condition or not.
除风益损汤
【来源】《原机启微》卷下。
【组成】熟地黄当归白芍药川芎各3克藁本前胡防风各2.1克
【用法】上作一服。用水300毫升,煎至150毫升,去滓热服。
【功用】养血祛风,活血通络。
【主治】目为物伤,及血虚头痛。
【方论】方中熟地黄补肾水为君,当归、白芍补血为臣;川芎活血祛瘀为佐;藁本、前胡、防风祛风通络为使,配合成方,共奏养血祛风,活血通络之功。
【加减】伤甚者,加大黄以泻其败血;眵多泪多,羞涩赤肿者,加黄芩。
I had a crystalens put in last March due to a cataract. Had Yag Capsulotomy, vitrectomy,(due to Dr. tearing sac) a pupilloplasty to make my pupil smaller due to severe glare, starbursts, and halo's. Shortly after, vitreous detached. Three weeks later had PRK. A few weeks later my retina detached. I'm now almost four weeks out and my pupil is still huge, and the starburst and glare are worse then before the pupilloplasty. Only drop I'm on is Pred Forte. My Dr. said my pupil may never shrink back down. I can't live like this! Help!
hi i'm  famira..malaysian ;)....read some posts..
hmm..
why dont for mydriatic pupil , we manage with prosthetic contact lens to help control reduce the glarre.....better than nothing
and wear spectacle  ( multifocal lens mebbe ) to help focus at multi distance ???
does anyone had ever tried?

but of course..those things only can help until certain level only....always original is the best and men can never replace the original......so, for each one of us should always say thanks to God for what ever we have now or left for us now..... :)
sorry my english is not so good..;p
and as far as i'm concern those mytdriatic pupil is not the cause of colour vision difficiency or reduce our vision contrast  acuity....

pupil functions to help our eyes to focus at any distance and also help to control amount of light.....
when the pupil is not functioning well- we might have blurr of vision and also glarre or double vision.

all the colour vision and  low contrast sensitivity is due to the nerve not functioning well after the trauma...which also caused the mydriatic pupil..
I think cataract and surgery is different from a accident. Not sure if it will works for you.
Our pupil can adjust automatically, not sure if any instrument can do it now.

For the color issue, I don't know why it is, but it just happened. And it must have linked to the pupil, I just don't know how it affects.
Test
They only thing that is affective is the drops. Worth the risk of retina detachments. Prosthetics cause major tunnel vision and are uncomfortable but will help with the glare. Regular tinted color contacts have to large of a pupil opening but of course any smaller and your vision would be hazy due to looking through the color tint when eyes dilated.

Be nice try different pupil sizes to see if it reduces tunnel vision but they are so expensive not worth the Ricks You can also buy dilated contacts with a fake pupil, it's like looking through a pair of sunglasses. I have not tried yet but I imagine it would look really weird when outside. again it would be nice to try different pupil sizes to figure out a happy medium