Eye Care Expert Forum
Treatment for vitreous detachment

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Treatment for vitreous detachment

Dear Dr. Brown,
I was diagnosed with vitreous detachment, but the optometrist said it would resolve itself in time. I think what caused it was the constant, forceful coughing I did during a recent bout with bronchitis, (??). It has been 6 months, at least and I see no relief. I can't wear my contacts because the lens in the right eye (the one with the problem) only magnifies the blurring. The left eye is fine, and I have a reading lens for that one but together, my far vision is blurred, however my near vision is fine.  I wish I could correct the sight in the right eye so that I can wear my lens and restore my distance as it once was. what can I do?
You  are likely correct that the severe bout of coughing brought on the vitreous detachment.  The persistent symptom of vitreous detachment is floaters.  If you are noticing blurred vision, you need to get another opinion - based on your description is sounds like you just need a good refraction (measurement for glasses and contact lens power) to bring your distance and near vision back into balance between the eyes.  See an EyeMD.  Find one near you at aao.org.
Hello,  I read your post and wanted to ask a few questions.  When you had your coughing episodes,  did you also have the light flashes with your detachment?  If you did,  how long did you have them?  The reason I ask is,  I too am in the process of a vitreous detachment.  I've been to my opthamologist for 2 different checkups 4 weeks apart.   The detachment is still not complete and I continue to have the flashes when I move my eye towards my nose.  Traction on my retina.    He said everything in my eye is fine and this just takes time.  But I feel my life is on hold because I am afraid to do anything such as heavy lifting or bending or any type of exercise.  I do not understand why it is taking this so long to resolve itself or maybe I am just impatient.   Would you relate your PVD experience  and it's symptoms?   Thanks for reading.