Eye Care Expert Forum
Tri focals
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Tri focals

Has anyone had implants of these new type multifocals ?  i am interested in how good they are and peoples first hand experience of these " new improved " multifocals and if do they indeed reduce GASH effects
2078052_tn?1331936700
Multifocal IOLs (intraocular implants) are implanted after cataract surgery (removal of the eye's cloudy lens).  Multifocal implants split the entering light in order to focus far and near.  Because of their optics, there is inherent reduced contrast sensitivity (ability to see in dim light), and some people have glare/haloes afterward.  The glare/haloes do seem to decrease with time as the brain adapts to the new vision.  We are not able to predict before surgery who will adapt to the new vision and who will not.  As a result, some people have had to have these implants removed (explanted) and replaced with a standard monofocal IOL (one which focuses only one distance, such as for far away).
2 Comments
Blank
Thanks for the post Doreen , i was trying to find out more about the newer generation of multifocals, the trifocals in particular and get a thread going for people looking for information on them, i have multifocals myself and they are ok but not without there inherent glare/ghosting effects, the trifocals are marketed as being without these effects, but the design looks like the re zoom, stepped ring focal zones, and these are renown for trouble,one thing i must say is that i have probably better contrast with mine ( lentis mplus) than with my old vision, but this i guess would vary from person to person.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
1731421_tn?1358826971