Eye Care Expert Forum
Trouble after Cataract Surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Trouble after Cataract Surgery

Hi!  I had cataract surgery on my left eye 2 1/2 weeks ago.  We put in the IOL lens AcrySof IQ   Model: SN60WF  Power 24.5 D   Length: 13.0 mm   Optic:  6.0mm  The problem that I am having is seeing flashes constantly in my vision, images wiggle some and the outer peripheral vision of the eye seems to have a crescent moon shape to it.  I can stare in the mirror and see my pupil move or wiggle producing these flashes.  My dr. said I had edema swelling and at the one week checkup said everything is doing fine.  No movement of lens, it is in the correct place, etc.  My question is this:  Is it normal to have such flashes still and wiggle movements in my eyes?  The crescent moon shape that I see is more prominent when I look down.  I was told the IOL lens diameters are smaller than our regular lens and that is why I am seeing the half moon shape.  Is that right?  Why are IOL lens made smaller than our original lenses?  :)  No one that I know who has had cataract surgery has had these flashes constantly and do not see the crescent moon shape on the outside of their eye.  I am going nuts since my vision now in both eyes is so much more blurry than before and how long does it take for the eyes to adjust to one eye being for near vision and the other eye being used for distance?  I am going crazy!  Ha!!!
Thank you very much!!
Terri
Dear TerriLynn52,

You are describing a few different issues.  The vision with monovision, one eye for distance and one eye for reading is a compromise and may take a few months for you to adjust.   The light flashing that you are experiencing may be making this more difficult for you.  I would recommend that you speak with your eyeMD about the light flashes and have your retina examined.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Dear Terri,

My mom also had cataract surgery (phaco) in both the eyes. the right eye seems to be fine after 1 month, buts its the other eye which is causing problems. She sees a round circle and it becomes prominent at a certain angle.she had blurry vision in the beginning, but that got better in several weeks. she visited her eye specialist after 6 weeks, he doesnt seem to be concerned, gave her Genteal eye drops (i dont know how that would serve the purpose, im still trying to find out)

i am trying to find out the real answer to the problem like you.I am aware of few things though, which might help you.

Anyway, your own natural lens are removed during the cataract surgery, only the sac holding the lens is left back. What you meant maybe the pupil size being smaller than the artificial lens or vice versa, there is a small possibilty for that, though my mom's doctor didnt talk about that! anyway he told her its not a big deal, her retina seems fine and these things are quite common after surgery, just gave her the eye drops.

anyway my personal suggestion, you should find your symptoms fade away within a month. If they dont subside in few weeks, then you should SEE YOUR EYE DOCTOR and have it checked if the eye is healing well and what could be the reasons of your symptoms.ASK you doc, all the possible problems, rule them out.its always wise.

anyway if the lens size is smaller, then it would hopefully get better over time, dont worry about it, the more you do, the more worse it could get. as for the wiggling thing, plz have it checked out from your doctor. dont compare your symptoms with other pateints though. my mom was the only one with the circle issue, no one else had it. plz see a doctor, BUT BUT none of it is life threatning okay, its just too bothersome and irritating. dont obsess over it, the more you do, the worse it would gvet. and i know you must b e focusing and staring in the mirror all the time to check the wiggling etc :), Dont focus on too many things like you are, your wiggling would get worse.

MAY ALLAH GIVE YOU THE BEST OF HEALTH AND SOLVE ALL YOUR EYE PROBLEMS AND MY MOM's PROBLEMS AS WELL. AMEN.

SEEMA, PAKISTAN
Hi Terri,

One more thing, after your catarcat surgery, your doc must have given you eye drops (antibiotic category for 6 weeks), antibiotics (5 days course), medicine to decrease intra ocular pressure (for 1 day and half). these were given to my mom, your doc must have given you something like that.

DONT NEGELCT TAKING THEM WHATEVER SHE/HE GAVE YOU.

They are very very important to prevent infection, pain and swelling and other problems. all your other problems no matter how irritating they are are not reallly life threatning, haveing an infection and nay signs of infection is not a good sign (though treatable)

Dont bend below your waist and i hope you didnt put water in your eye for atleast one week. dont rub your eye vigourously and dont pick up heavy things. dont over exhaust yourself, and rest your eyes a bit also.

Take care, May Allah solve all your problems

SEEMA, PAKISTAN
Hi!
Thank you for your sweet comments and I am trying to not concentrate on the wiggling of the lens etc.  Ha!  My Dr. did give me 3 eye drops to put in and I am still using those and no I didnt get water in my eye for a week like he said.  He did tell me that our eyes original lens is smaller than the IOLS that are put in for cataract surgery etc.  I think the crescent moon that I see is the IOL not being wide enough for my eye.  I don't understand why they don't make the IOLS the same width of a normal lens.  You can read on that in other articles and I guess the manufactureres are working on that. Seems weird to me.  The flashings are still there but usually when I am overly stressed or really concentrating on something, especially if i look Down.  My eye seems to feel like the vision closes in everytime I look down or at a certain angle.  Thank you for the info and I wish your mom good luck too!!

Terri
Texas
Thank you so much for your response.  The vision is adjusting slowly every day.  I am anxious to find out if the IOLs are smaller than our normal lens that was taken out.  Is that why the "crescent moon" effect is seen on my outer peripheral edges?  My eye dr. says everything looks perfect.  The lens has not moved and my swelling is pretty much gone. If I close my good eye, the flashing in my right IOL eye stops.  Do you think the flashing is caused by the eyes trying to adjust to the differences in my monovision?? The wiggling still happens but not as much now.  Also, wearing a distance contact in my normal eye helps out ALOT with the blurriness I was having.  Again,  thank you for your response and I am just trying to understand the crescent moon thing more.  

Sincerely yours,
Terri
A related discussion, half-moon shadow after cataracts removed was started.