Eye Care Community
Type of sedation with cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Type of sedation with cataract surgery

I had topical anesthesia with light IV sedation.  I highly recommend this, as I remember next-to-nothing about the surgery.
But some patients don't want to be sedated.  If they simply get an injection or drops, does this mean that the presence of an anesthesiologist is required?
I'm really wondering if the absence of the sedation would make the total surgery bill cost less and if the surgeon would simply give the injection, or how does this work?
I had topical anesthesia (eye drops) without sedation.  No anesthesiologist was present, and I had no IV.  Perhaps my total bill was less, but it was paid by my insurance (not out-of-pocket.)  The staff in your surgeon's office could answer your questions about fees.
Thank you Jodie.
I plan to do my next cataract extraction the same way (I hope!) as the first eye, but I am interested in the other ways it is done, as I am writing some articles about cataract treatment.

But with my insurance I know I will pay 20% out-of-pocket costs for the surgery and everything associated with it -- the use of the surgical center, surgeon's fee, and anesthesiologist's fee.
If you were happy with your first surgery, then the 20% out-of-pocket costs for the anesthesiologist was money well spent.
I used an anesthesiologist for 2 cataract surgeries.It was basically to relax me..One was an explant and exchange, the other was just taking out the cataract and putting in the new lens.  I was awake, but I was so calm that they could have cut my head off!  There was no pain at all, I felt actually nothing.  The only thing I felt was a cool rinse.   I did see some beautiful colors!  My first surgery (of three,) I was so afraid to be awake so they gave me general anesthesia and put me to sleep. Big mistake.  It was terrible.  I felt awful from after effects of the anesthesia.  No pain or discomfort from the cataract surgery during or after.   If you are brave enough go JodieJ's way, if you are a little frightened go the way I went

I hope this is of interest for your articales.
Thank you.  Yes, this is helpful.  Everyone's situation is a little different, and I do like to know what possibilities are out there.
The only thing I remember about my cataract surgery is the surgeon telling me a couple of times to look at some pretty lights.
Later he told me the reason.  Since they don't routinely inject something to paralyze the muscles, the eye needs something to fixate on during surgery.
General anaesthesia sometimes makes you woozy and nauseous.  I fainted after getting up after surgery when I was 18 years old.