Eye Care Community
Unable to concentrate/focus eyes + residual afterimage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hi guys, I would be very grateful if anyone could take a look at the symptoms I describe below, I have had them for about the last month and a half, with no change in their severity for better or worse.  I realise my descriptions are quite lengthy, but I thought it better for them to be too detailed rather than too vague.  I've seen my doctor and eye specialist about it with no luck.  Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight.

SYMPTOMS
-
White afterimage sensation  

Whenever I look upon anything with a clear outline, the most frequent example being text, and then move my gaze even the slightest amount, I see a residual white image on top of whatever now occupies my gaze.  So, when I read the text on say, a poster on a wall, as soon as I move my gaze from the text to a blank area of the poster, I can still see the text, although it is in this bright white writing.  This sensation appears to be most pronounced where the contrast between text and background is greatest, with black text on a white background by far the worst.  The sensation lasts for a good few seconds and happens continuously as I move my eyes and look at different things.  As I say, it is only that text is where it becomes most obvious; it is a problem with my vision in general.
I am unsure whether to call this 'double vision'.  It is not clear to me whether the white image is present all the time, but simply covered up by the coloured text or likewise until I move to an area of background where it can be 'revealed' i.e. that it is always there but I simply can't see it until I move my gaze.  Certainly, it does not seem to me like the two images from each eye struggling to converge, there is a definite 'main' image.  It is more like the bright spot of light that lingers in your vision if you accidentally look directly at the sun, in terms of the general sensation it is quite similar to that.  The afterimage does not stream, or bleed like a sparkler on bonfire night, but it has that same feeling of being temporarily burned into the image until it fades.

-
Strange dark/light 'shadowy' vision

My vision also seems to have some kind of interference, in that despite the image itself being clear, it is somewhat 'shadowy'.  It's difficult to tell, but this may be in part due to all the relics of previous images getting in the way of one another due to the 'afterimage' problem I described above.  It is as if there is an overriding darkness about my vision, made up of many tiny patches of shadow, where really the colour of an object or surface should be clean and plain.

-
Problems with focusing and fast-moving images

All this makes it exceedingly difficult to focus on anything for any length of time.  If i try to hold my gaze on one particular point, my eyes become uncomfortable and seem to either want to move around simply so as to avoid staying still, or my brain gives up and I look at the particular spot, but do no focus on it.  My concentration therefore is very easily broken.
In line with the difficulty I have focusing on a particular point, I also cannot track fast-moving images.  This is most apparent when watching television.  If the camera quickly pans from one image to another, my eyes cannot keep up with the changing focal points.  For example, watching a game of football on the TV, naturally the camera follows the ball.  So, should the ball be passed quickly from one end of the pitch to the other, as in a goal kick, my vision goes through a cycle of focusing on the ball at one location, unfocusing whilst it's in fast-motion and the camera moves, then refocusing again once it has come to relative rest at its new location.  
As a general rule, any time I have to move my eyes at all, I have problems.  However at the same time, as I said, my eyes do not seem to be comfortable when they are not moving.
Too many symptoms, many unrelated.  Please see an EyeMD.

Dr. O.